HELP in Maryland. Pinched.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not yet. I ordered an 18inch bar and chain( I wanted an upgrade to the stock 16” anyway) for $65. When it gets here I’ll put it on the saw, first I’ll try putting my wedge in the kerf. After that, with clear escape route, I will cut a little from the top, and then do the final cut from the bottom. I’ll take pictures of everything and post them. Lots of help on here, thank you all !!
Just make another cut a foot down from where your bar is. Cut it clean in half and the pressure on your bar will be relieved.

So for those interested, when I pinched my saw last week, I was like "Oh Nooooo." I thought about the bottle jack and unfortunately it is about 8" high, and doesnt even fit easily under the log. Engaging it just pushed it into the mud. So I ordered an 18” bar and chain for the husqvarna 435 XT and it is on the way. I plan to buy two orange wedges and make that cut probably the end of next week. Super excited I read the link that was posted and watched some YouTube and, together with this forum I believe it will work out great! I will complete my wood gathering for this year with that oak (or so I tell myself). It will take up every bit of my suburban stacking supply! Thank you everyone I can’t wait for my extra bar and chain!

This is a really good book on felling trees and everything else around that including bucking:
https://www.wesspur.com/books/jeff-jepson-to-fell-a-tree.html

I suggest a selection of plastic felling wedges both short and long. Sometimes you need to double them up. Sometimes the wedges get stuck in the tree until you finish the cut so you need another wedge or two. Short wedges are used for smaller trees. Also spare chains for both bars and files to sharpen them, if you don't already have that.

I would check that bar for straightness after getting it out. Additionally based on the looks of your tree, You are going to want to use the 18" bar anyway.

Not trying to be a jerk but do you have a helper or somebody there when you cut? Do you have safety gear? Chainsaws are unforgiving as are large trees. I don't know where you live but I buy important quality stuff like chainsaws and chains local.

Not trying to be a jerk but do you have a helper or somebody there when you cut? Do you have safety gear? Chainsaws are unforgiving as are large trees. I don't know where you live but I buy important quality stuff like chainsaws and chains local.
Thank you! I get your concern. I do not have a helper but the homeowner will be home and within earshot. That being said, I have gloves, eye protection, good boots and a sharp new blade coming. I have positioned branches under the log for when it falls so the saw will be off the dirt for cutting rounds. I have a clear escape route and it is a flat yard. My only concern is when it falls if it rolls off the logs positioned below. I feel pretty confident after reading the links provided here and watching YouTube. I’m 53 years old so I know a little about self preservation! I believe it will go well. Will definitely keep you all posted. I’ll send pictures tomorrow!!

Full safety gear includes saw chaps and cut proof boots (i.e. steel toe). Many people would include face protection in that. Hearing protection is a must and will reduce fatigue. When working in the woods you should have a helmet. Stuff falls from trees a lot.

Husqvarna makes a nice felling helmet with face and hearing protection built in. The ear muffs can be flipped up easily when the saw is off.

Reactions: peakbagger
Ditto on the chainsaw chaps. IMO if you own a saw, own a pair of chaps. Its real easy to get tagged when limbing and bucking. Lots of gory pictures out there of what happens to flesh when it encounters skin (the skin loses). A helmet is essential if you get to the point of dropping trees.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yep, the chaps are a must IMO. They're a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. Yes they're hot, but it is what it is. I wear shorts under them in the summertime

I try to minimize cutting during warm weather. My chainsaw is much happier the cooler it gets. I have been using chaps for 20 plus years and no knicks so far. I did give a pair to someone and his has a few. I minor knick is probably the equivalent of several stitches.

I try to minimize cutting during warm weather. My chainsaw is much happier the cooler it gets. I have been using chaps for 20 plus years and no knicks so far. I did give a pair to someone and his has a few. I minor knick is probably the equivalent of several stitches.
Ok update is I did receive the bar and chain. Had a meeting with a fellow employee at Edward Jones and he has a 20” Stihl and experience as an arborist at one time in life. He is meeting me tomorrow at 8:30 am and will help me buck the whole tree. What a guy. I will get my pinched 16” bar and chain out and help buck once set up on logs. And I can get to splitting, which is my specialty. I will stop there today though and take pictures of all. The bucking is tomorrow!

Reactions: EbS-P and PaulOinMA
Ok update is I did receive the bar and chain. Had a meeting with a fellow employee at Edward Jones and he has a 20” Stihl and experience as an arborist at one time in life. He is meeting me tomorrow at 8:30 am and will help me buck the whole tree. What a guy. I will get my pinched 16” bar and chain out and help buck once set up on logs. And I can get to splitting, which is my specialty. I will stop there today though and take pictures of all. The bucking is tomorrow!
Nice. You're fortunate to find some help! It feels exponentially faster with two people. Sometimes my dad brings his saw and helps me.

That tree will keep you guys busy a while.

Yep, the chaps are a must IMO. They're a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. Yes they're hot, but it is what it is. I wear shorts under them in the summertime
I find wearing shorts under chaps hideous. Three open back invariably gets fitted with chips and makes me very uncomfortable. I'd rather put up with the heat!

I am interested to watch your progress. I wish I lived nearby, I would love to help you.

Reactions: Investmentdude
If your helper knows what he is doing, it will be over real quick.

Reactions: Investmentdude
Nice. You're fortunate to find some help! It feels exponentially faster with two people. Sometimes my dad brings his saw and helps me.

That tree will keep you guys busy a while.
Yessir. Snapped some pictures today in anticipation!!

2D8DF33C-B614-4517-89A8-63B655DCB28A.jpeg 0B728642-E013-4BBF-A291-FA9C6F4D55AC.jpeg CE60722B-20B3-4B18-B85E-BFFE70606C2D.jpeg 2A0B1F43-B550-41DE-BF12-DDD0BD3A5E5B.jpeg 7DA9F8CA-5284-48E7-BD24-1D37A752DE24.jpeg 87876CF8-14AF-4D9E-A33D-981192BB5E89.jpeg DFDBB940-723D-4D3B-8A43-470E5B90D7BE.jpeg C17EE9D5-BA63-40FA-8002-6613DA4BF869.jpeg

I couldn't help but chuckle at the pic where the bark is chipped away at the top of the cut. Like a squirrel chewing trying to free his chain. That's a hell of a tree
That’s actually someone else’s chain. My bar and chain are buried under the V. I hope they come out ok tomorrow. Cheers

That’s actually someone else’s chain. My bar and chain are buried under the V. I hope they come out ok tomorrow. Cheers
Interesting that your bar still got pinched after cutting that V. Were you cutting from the bottom up after you cut that V? That's how I do it. As an alternative you can start cutting and pound a wedge in the top so your cut doesn't close on you