HELP in Maryland. Pinched.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You went right for the big stuff! I usually start with removing all of the limbs and work my way down to the log. All of those big limbs make the movement of the log unpredictable with the leverage they have.

Reactions: ericm979
Yeah, a jack wasn't going to move that. :)

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Yep, the chaps are a must IMO. They're a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. Yes they're hot, but it is what it is. I wear shorts under them in the summertime
Shorts and chaps Year round down here.

Reactions: vbu
We did good this morning separating the top of the tree from the main log. My friend had the Stihl and got pinched so luckily my new bar and chain came in time and we used the second saw to free it. Once we got to the main log it was just slice and split. I sliced a few with my Husqy 435 with 18” bar and felt good doing it. We filled three pickup trucks worth and then had lunch with a product partner on annuities. He brought Chic Fil A and we were dusty. It was a great day. There is one truckload left. I’ll get next week.

Reactions: PaulOinMA and EbS-P
Glad to hear that you are making your way through it.

I agree about limbing as much as possible before working my way along. With fallen trees, I usually study the pressure points to understand where a tree is supported (on the ground, by a branch, on another tree, etc.) and then slice it into manageable sections. I try not to fight the tree but use the existing conditions to my advantage. It was something that I picked up learning judo in my youth - use your opponent's momentum to your advantage.

Pictures of good teamwork and progress!!

B1D53038-AFE7-46EF-AEEA-A78F79431EA2.jpeg 041F4F58-18B8-4DF2-B799-54A9C1D7F062.jpeg 6C3AA799-B4A4-4FB8-A09E-D4BC62E0DE18.jpeg 02EA11F1-2084-43D5-9FE6-9253977B4328.jpeg 395EC86C-322E-4545-9AD0-3CB3F5B93EA2.jpeg

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Glad to hear that you are making your way through it.

I agree about limbing as much as possible before working my way along. With fallen trees, I usually study the pressure points to understand where a tree is supported (on the ground, by a branch, on another tree, etc.) and then slice it into manageable sections. I try not to fight the tree but use the existing conditions to my advantage. It was something that I picked up learning judo in my youth - use your opponent's momentum to your advantage.

Yes to all that.

When I am cutting I keep an eye on the saw kerf. If it starts to narrow I pull the saw out immediately.

I cut into 16" rounds. I suck at estimating log and round length so I use tools. I measure and cut trees into 8' logs, then buck the logs into rounds. I have a device that paints a dot every 16" so I can get the round length right. I usually carry the logs to my wood processing area using a tractor. If I was cutting to load a truck or trailer with rounds I'd still cut into logs first. If it's a manageable log I can make my bucking cuts partway and then use a cant hook to roll the log over to make the finishing cuts, keeping the saw out of the dirt. If you stick the bar into the first cut and then cut upwards it makes a neat continuation of the existing cut where if you cut from the top the two cuts might not meet.

Reactions: CatfishHunter
Time for the T-shirt

Man, I have been away for the past week and I am located in Kingsville, MD. Would come out to help if you need anything. Give me a shout

Man, I have been away for the past week and I am located in Kingsville, MD. Would come out to help if you need anything. Give me a shout
Ah thank you so much yinpin! I’m happy to say we got out of the jam. Buddy with a Stihl 20 inch. And I got an 18” bar for my husqy 435. With two saws we got through just fine. But I will keep you in mind. And likewise, if I can ever help you!!! Cheers