Help Newbee Here (osburn 1600)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax

Nov 10, 2010
Harland, mi
Hey guys I'm new to the site and to burning wood. I just purchased an Osborn 1600. I installed it on Monday. The store I bought it from gave me a four to five foot piece of flex to put through my flue and up through the chimney a little. He said that I would be good until next year when I can run a new one all the way up the chimney. My questions are should I be good with what he said? Should I insulate around the pipe going through the flue? Would it being this way makes it inefficient? I have an open floor plan besides the bedrooms the house is about 1200sq ft. I know it’s only my second night with it but it seems like it doesn’t warm the house and every time I open the door a puff of smoke comes out. I hope my expectations aren’t to high for this. I would like any advice anyone has for me.

Thanks guys

The type of install you are describing is often referred to as a "slammer" install. Though they can work, they depend greatly on things like the soundness of the tiles in your flue, the chimney height, and the interior dimensions of the flue. Too large a diameter flue can cause sluggish draft and increased creosote, for example. Also, every time you sweep the flue with a "slammer" install, you have to pull the insert.

Ok well may tiles are in good shape and my chimney is about 12 to 15 feet tall. Would it perform any different? Is there a good place to buy the pipe online?

What kind of wood are you burning, and when was it cut/split/stacked?

I should clarify: I assumed you had an insert and not a free standing stove based on your initial description. Is it an insert, or is it free standing?

Maple, Oak, Ash mostly. It was cut and split in jan. feb. and March. It sat in a pile of 200 cord and I stacked it about a month and half ago. Yeah sorry it's a insert.

An insert without a full liner will be at the mercy of: chimney height, flue tile dimensions, and moisture content of the wood. You'll be lucky if the oak is ready, as it holds on to moisture something fierce. When you sweep your flue, you will have to pull the insert unless you have a full liner.

Less that ideal wood and the lack of a full liner can cause you to get less heat from the insert and potential back puffing into the room when you open the door on the insert.

Ok so my thought were correct that not having a full liner is causing it to be inefficient. The oak actually burns pretty good. Is there a good website to buy liner cheap.

I work for Osburn and you will definitely be better served with a liner. It's not that expensive and it will guarantee a better install, ensure a good draft and improve your efficiency. Let me know how it goes.

Well I finally lined the chimney. The osburn is a lot better, it burners hotter and last a little longer. I was wondering what temp. the insert should run at? I have one of the chimney temp. gauges on it and on top of the insert is a little cooler then the front. So where should I put it? I also have a radar laser gun to check it with. I average about 430 deg. Thanks

Glad to hear also you're burning better with the liner.

You can put a standard magnetic temp gauge on the top lip of the insert. I've done exactly what youve done with the laser & I'm getting similar reading so you should be good to go.

Overfiring is a concern if A) you have an overdraft situation (rare) or B) if you have a thick bed of coal and keep adding logs without letting these coals burn down. Otherwise you should not have to worry too much about over firing.

Big CFM for insert is not necessary better. I run mine at the lowest possible setting. High air velocity cools your firebox too fast, reduce your efficiency and run the risk of creating condensation on low fire. the blower's purpose is mainly to capture as much heat as possible from around the firebox and put it back in the room. I personally dont go any higher than 1/2 speed. Once you get used to your stove you'll figure out what works best for you.

I hope this helps, enjoy the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.