1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Help - Safety Hazard

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by dpoppo, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpoppo

dpoppo New Member

Loc:
    virginia
    Please help. We have a pellet stove that is directly vented to the outside. I noticed the sparks flying out and hitting the bush right under the vent. When I asked the guy who installed it if that was ok, he said that it wouldn't be a problem. My stupidity for trusting the expert and not listening to common sense. Last night the bush and leaves under the vent caught fire. Luckily no one was hurt and the fire burned itself out. THe scary thing is we could have lost the house and our lives. Has anyone heard of the danger of direct venting and is there a way to get rid of the sparks or make this safer? I do not want to waste the $4000 investment and never use the stove again, but I am terrified. I have searched the internet all night and I have not found any information about something similar happening to anyone else or any way to resolve it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    the stack should have a vertical rise, this is important to allow sparks and flyers to extinguish while still in the pipe , also it lifts the exhaust duct higher getting it up over the hedges. i truly hate a direct horizontal vent. by the way if you have a power outage while the unit is running with that install you are much more likely to have smoke spillage in the house than if you have a vertical addition to your vent. i'd invite the installer back out to add this pipe, or do it yourself , its quite easy to do, i'll guide you if you have questions how, feel free to ask.
  3. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Does you vent go straight out? Or does it go out, then up or up then out? If it just goes straight out the wall, you should probably add at least a 3 foot section going up, and then away from the house.
  4. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Mike Holton gives you good advice -
    look into extending the stack upward.

Additionally I would like to say that the "guy"
    who installed your stove is an ass. While
    the manuals do provide instruction for direct
    venting straight out a wall, they also clearly
    state the exhaust clearances to things like
    shrubs, walkways, etc.

I would still go vertical with the pipe as the
    first choice.
  6. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I have an 8' rise on mine with a T at the bend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.