Help - Stove quit working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRQ

Dec 18, 2017
Maryland
Hey everyone - hoping someone can help me out here. New registered user here, but I've been reading posts for a while.

I have a Quadrafire Castile Pellet Insert (not sure exactly what year, but probably around a 2007)

Its been working fine - I clean it fairly regularly. Saturday night it quit working. I took it apart and cleaned it yesterday, checked the fuse, and checked all of the snap disks, and even jumped them to see if they were bad.

So here's what it does.

When I plug it in:
Exhaust fan comes on
Blue light flashes 6 times for a few minutes then stops

It has an old analog thermostat - I usually set it all the way down at 50 to turn the stove off, and turn it up to 90 to turn the stove on. Typically, when I turn it on, a red light comes on next to the low/mid/high switch, but now the red light is on all the time even when the thermostat is set to 50.

Turning the thermostat up to 90 or hitting the reset button does nothing - auger doesn't run, igniter doesn't get hot - nothing at all.

I jumped the vacum switch to see if that was the issue, but got no change in symptoms.

I emptied the hopper to make sure that it wasnt just jammed - didnt appear to be, but I cant really see the auger; best as I can feel, it doesn't seem like there's anything stuck in it. Not sure that would be the issue anyways since the igniter isn't coming on either.

My limited experience (or ignorance) tells me that either one of the snap disks is bad which is not allowing the auger and/or the igniter to start (but I jumped all of them with no change, so probably not it), OR the vacum switch is bad, or hose plugged which is not allowing the auger and/or the igniter to start (again, I jumped the switch so probably not it), OR the control board may be bad which is not allowing the auger and igniter to start (I have no idea how to test this).

I guess that the igniter and/or the auger could be bad, but the chances that both go bad at the same time are probably pretty low.

I'm not sure what to think about the red (demand) light being on all the time - maybe the thermostat is bad and always asking for heat even when set to 50....its analog so not much to break there, and that wouldn't cause the igniter and auger to not work - I figure if that's an issue, then I can replace the thermostat after I get the stove working again.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Try taking the Tstat off the stove and see if the call light goes out. If it does put a jumper in its place for now and see if combustion blower comes on.

Sounds like defective tstat or tstat wires, if you disconnect tstat wires and red light goes out. kap

Reactions: Mt Bob
Well, I guess that shows my ignorance....

Unhooked the thermostat wires at the stove and the demand light went out - jumped the connections and it works fine.

Hooked the wires back up and unhooked the thermostat, and demand light stays on...so it looks like an issue in the wiring between the stove and the thermostat.

I thought that if the thermostat failed it would either always call for heat or never call for heat.

Thanks for the help guys!