Help to ID a craigslist fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's dirty, but may have promise. Have you contacted the owner?

Don't go expecting the blower to still work after it hanging out in the elements. No idea what it is.

I am working to get in touch with them. Price is right but only if it is something I can get insured and past my wife :)

One man's "bit of surface rust" is another man's "totally rusted"...

It looks like PE's original fireplace insert, model name "Insert." Same size firebox as the current Super model. Something to check for sure: early PE models had mild steel baffles that were welded to the air supply tube. If this one's baffle is warped and corroded out, replacement might not be possible. Also, check the door catch. Early PE's had the receiver on the inside of the door opening, which proved to be a bad idea.

Thanks to all who have given feedback on this insert.

It is still available as of a couple of days ago but the funny thing is the guy who is giving it away refuses to show it to anyone who isn't promising to take it away.

At this point I am trying to convince my brother to just go pick it up with a friend as I live two hours away.

Worst case scenario for me is that I waste a little bit of my brother's time and some of my gas when I go to get it from him.

I have wasted money and time on much sillier project in my lifetime.

Does anyone have one of these early Pacific Energy Inserts?

If we are able to pick it up we will shoot some pics and get some more opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.