help! which saw to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crawfish

Mar 16, 2009
central pa
I'm finally in the market for buying a saw after getting a Napoleon 1402 insert several years ago (love it! btw) and just got a pickup truck again after 7 years without one (mine had to go when our son was born and i got the wife's 4-door sedan). I'm looking for suggestions on a saw, probably Stihl or Husky that would be good for a begginer like myself with little cutting experience. Would be bucking up downed oak, cherry, maple 12" dia. or less to start until I'm brave enough to start felling trees. I will only be getting around 3 or 4 cord a year. How big of a saw do I really need? And ease of use as I am a begginer and not a real big guy (5'10", 160 lb.) in decent, but not great shape. Not sure how important this is but wanted to throw it out there. Thinking Stihl 211 or 250 or Husky 440 e-series or 445 would fit my budget which is important $300 - 350 or less. Would I be satisfied with a saw in this price range? I want something that is going to last for years. Thanks in advance for any and all advice, Crawfish. Oh yea one last thing. How long of a bar would you recommend?

Sounds like you're on the right track. A 16" bar would be a good choice.

Keep the chain sharp. Run quality oil at 50:1 with fresh gas and you'll get many years of good service

That's a tough price range. I'm sure you'll be happy with either brand, but if you can save up for a mid-range saw like the MS270 I think you'll be happier.

I think a real sweet saw for a beginner is the Dolmar 420 with a 16" bar. About $300 and it has many pro qualities compared to the others you mentioned. I have one and I love it.

I'd go with safety chain and a pruning type bar with a narrow tip to start with. That will reduce the kickback potential substantially while you are learning the ropes. Also, you need to budget in safety equipment. Kevlar chaps, eye protection and hearing protection should be used from Day 1 so you establish the proper work habits. These will add about $100 to the cost of the outfit

I would Strongly recommend a ms 250....... ;-)

I just checked my local Craig's list and there were at least 5 saws in your price range. I notice there are frequently very lightly used (often once of twice) Husky Ranchers and Stihl Farm Bosses for about $300. There were a couple of saws under $200. I think those saws would serve you well if you take care of them.

MarkinNC said:
I just checked my local Craig's list and there were at least 5 saws in your price range. I notice there are frequently very lightly used (often once of twice) Husky Ranchers and Stihl Farm Bosses for about $300. There were a couple of saws under $200. I think those saws would serve you well if you take care of them.
Man, I'm jealous, there are never any saws on my CL!

MarkinNC said:

I am looking at getting a bigger saw than my 455 Rancher. But since I bought it. I have NOT Touched my other 2. Fantastic saw. (BTW, I am 5' 4" 175 lbs. Not a BIG guy by any means) Going to sell my 435 and keep the T435 (Top Handle). My Buddy is supposed to finally bring in the 036 we are gonna trade for (Another thread on that).

So the MS 290 (029) or the Rancher series (Rancher 55, 455, 460) would be a good fit used. Ranchers around here, go for $400 new w/ 20" Bar or $225-$325 used. $300-$350 Can get you a Great Saw. Stop by your dealers and see if they have any good used models

Both of those choices are light enough and powerful enough to get the job done on anything (Well, Not ANYTHING, but you get my drift).

455 in back. 435 in middle. T435 in front

Attachments

• IMG00276-20110507-1015.jpg
    IMG00276-20110507-1015.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 432
I like my MS290, but I'm a big guy and don't really notice the extra weight. I end up cutting anywhere from 5-10 cords per year.

ikessky said:
I like my MS290, but I'm a big guy and don't really notice the extra weight. I end up cutting anywhere from 5-10 cords per year.
I have an 028 that I wouldn't trade for a new 250. My dad has a 250 and it doesn't cut as well as mine. Even if he had a better chain I can't imagine it cuts any better. Point is, don't rule out used saws...

Danno77 said:
ikessky said:
I have an 028 that I wouldn't trade for a new 250. My dad has a 250 and it doesn't cut as well as mine. Even if he had a better chain I can't imagine it cuts any better. Point is, don't rule out used saws...

028 is a bad @ass firewood saw and 250 match's pretty well for a modern saw.... ;-) 028 would be a little better....but not as smoooooth.

Danno77 said:
ikessky said:

Yep, nice 250 or 260 used would do you real well. 026 or 260 if you can find one runs a 16" bar very nicely. Nice lite saw too A C

I would also looked used on CL. You can tell a saw that has been rebuilt or been beat up. The beauty of buying used is you usually can sell it for almost as much as you bought it (assuming your the average homeowner).

I just took the advice from others on this forum and bought the biggest saw I could comfortably afford { sthil 441 magnum} cut up a large oak last night, made me wonder why the heck I bought a 45cc saw.My advice buy the biggest saw!

crawfish said:
I'm finally in the market for buying a saw after getting a Napoleon 1402 insert several years ago (love it! btw) and just got a pickup truck again after 7 years without one (mine had to go when our son was born and i got the wife's 4-door sedan). I'm looking for suggestions on a saw, probably Stihl or Husky that would be good for a begginer like myself with little cutting experience. Would be bucking up downed oak, cherry, maple 12" dia. or less to start until I'm brave enough to start felling trees. I will only be getting around 3 or 4 cord a year. How big of a saw do I really need? And ease of use as I am a begginer and not a real big guy (5'10", 160 lb.) in decent, but not great shape. Not sure how important this is but wanted to throw it out there. Thinking Stihl 211 or 250 or Husky 440 e-series or 445 would fit my budget which is important $300 - 350 or less. Would I be satisfied with a saw in this price range? I want something that is going to last for years. Thanks in advance for any and all advice, Crawfish. Oh yea one last thing. How long of a bar would you recommend?

I just bought a new saw 3 weeks ago. 25" bar. I've cut about 6 cord with it so far. Love it.

Bigg Redd You still wont give up what saw you purchased??

DexterDay said:
MarkinNC said:

I am looking at getting a bigger saw than my 455 Rancher. But since I bought it. I have NOT Touched my other 2. Fantastic saw. (BTW, I am 5' 4" 175 lbs. Not a BIG guy by any means) Going to sell my 435 and keep the T435 (Top Handle). My Buddy is supposed to finally bring in the 036 we are gonna trade for (Another thread on that).

So the MS 290 (029) or the Rancher series (Rancher 55, 455, 460) would be a good fit used. Ranchers around here, go for $400 new w/ 20" Bar or $225-$325 used. $300-$350 Can get you a Great Saw. Stop by your dealers and see if they have any good used models

Both of those choices are light enough and powerful enough to get the job done on anything (Well, Not ANYTHING, but you get my drift).

I've had a near new 55 Rancher (was straight gassed by a friend on about tank 10), muffler modded/ gasketless on craigslist for $225 for almost a month with no calls. I get a good laugh because rough looking boat anchor 029/290's will sell for $275 fast in our area.

estang said:
Bigg Redd You still wont give up what saw you purchased??

HittinSteel said:
DexterDay said:
MarkinNC said:

I've had a near new 55 Rancher (was straight gassed by a friend on about tank 10), muffler modded/ gasketless on craigslist for $225 for almost a month with no calls. I get a good laugh because rough looking boat anchor 029/290's will sell for $275 fast in our area.
That's a Good deal. Would be a good buy. If I didn't already have so many Saws. I'm sure it will sell. All in good time. Someone will save $200 by Buying yours. Good luck.

Oh, I don't need to sell it, I just have plenty of other saws. The eventual proceeds will be used to fund another saw project anyway and it is to hot to work in the garage this time of year!

smokinjay said:
I would Strongly recommend a ms 250....... ;-)

I agree. Bought my 250 last year ,3cords cut without a problem. Many more to go I hope.

HittinSteel said:

*sigh* :roll: I really don't get either of the phenoms that you have highlighted here. 1) Continual hating on the 290 and 2) people saint status of the 290.

ikessky said:
HittinSteel said:

*sigh* :roll: I really don't get either of the phenoms that you have highlighted here. 1) Continual hating on the 290 and 2) people saint status of the 290.

Stihl is very strong in the used market. Other brands of saw takes someone who knows what it is. That rules out a big segment of your market.

Craw...I have the same stove set up as you. After I bought the stove a few years back,,I picked up a Stihl MS180,,used it with great success for a few years. I have my wood delivered in log length, which means I have to buck it and split it. The 180 was a bit small for this, although it did work. Sold my 180 after two years on use, for good money. I picked up a new MS250 for under 300 bucks at my local dealer. Couldnt be happier. I only cut about 5 cord per year. A good warranty and dealer support cant be beat. Its a big help when your local dealer,,in my case Stihl dealer,,,is only 4 blocks from my residence. Good luck with the stove..and the new saw,,,whichever ya purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.