1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help With Appalachian Gemini XLB

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by TommyTally, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TommyTally

TommyTally New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Hello, new to the forums, though I have been browsing for a few months. Bought a new house in late summer, and it came with what I believe is an Appalachian Gemini XLB (no instruction manual passed onto us with the sale of the house). I believe the stove was put in when the house was built around 20 years ago. I have no experience with wood stoves prior to this house, but I have come to the conclusion that the previous owners likely did not perform appropriate maintenance given the state of the stove when we moved in. I had a sweep come to clean the chimney, they stated that if we would have tried to start a fire the entire house would have likely filled with smoke.

I have been burning intermittently so far this season, and have tried to clean out the catalyst (I honestly think it is the original catalyst) with a vacuum to keep it at least minimally clean. However, I noticed it did have very significant clogging the last time I looked at it and am currently trying to remove the catalysts in order to clean them until I can order a new one. Hence, the reason for my post. Does anyone know how to get the catalyst out of this type of stove? Pictures are below. I have taken off the flame shield, but cannot get the catalyst/damper housing off in order to get the catalyst out. I have tried loosening the damper tabs, but still not success. any ideas? IMG_20121229_131820.jpg IMG_20121229_131827.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a slightly different Appalachian stove, but am having trouble understanding the orientation of the pictures I am looking at. Are you able to get some a little further away?

On mine the entire housing rotates about 30 degrees, and there are two tabs on either side that slide out of a track to allow the housing to come down. I don't think your's is the same, but can't quite make out what needs to happen with the pics provided.
  3. TommyTally

TommyTally New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Sure, I'll get some up ASAP.
  4. TommyTally

TommyTally New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Do these help with the orientation? I should mention that I have tried moving the tabs to no avail. They may just be "creosoted" in there, but I certainly have not been able to get them to budge. IMG_20121229_140913.jpg IMG_20121229_140855.jpg
  5. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    The catalyst holder is held in by those tabs. PB blaster on bolts should loosen them up. That housing is pretty heavy so can be hard to put back in. You may want to pre cut some 2x4s to prop up the housing while you put tabs back in place.
  6. TommyTally

TommyTally New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Thanks. I assumed it was heavy, but hadn't thought of using a few pieces of wood to prop it up. Thanks.