help with my 100 year old chimney problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saawduust

Oct 11, 2014
Nashville, TN
i need some advise on how to proceed with installing a 6 in chimney liner please
10 ys ago when a new metal roof was installed on the farmhouse, the top portion of the chimney was removed to below the roof line to keep from having to flash around an old stone chimney that was not being used.
its about 3 feet below the ridge and there is plenty of room to work there
My plan is this...
install a 6in liner to the top of the existing chimney with the insulation and mesh as required
fabricate and install a chimney cover with a 6 in hole in it to keep the liner secure
then rather than install a cap at that point I will install double wall chimney pipe through the roof
to continue the chimney up to where it is supposed to be.

I'm planning on installing an insert (Napolean 1402?)into the firebox which seems be in great shape.
from the top of the insert to the top of the existing chimney is about 18 ft and then about 3 ft to the ridge and I would like to go 2 or 3 feet above that to the cap

is this a viable solution to this problem?
one problem that I can think of is how to connect the liner to the double wall pipe...
if this problem has already been addressed here then I apologize for not finding it,
but any thoughts or comments will be appreciated
thank you

That will work fine there are adapter plates made to do exactly what you need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.