Help with Shared Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mncomic

Nov 17, 2021
Minnesota
I have a 1950's home with a fireplace upstairs and one downstairs. The one upstairs is the only functional one
but when I use it I get smoke downstairs. Any advice on how to eliminate or reduce this? Thanks

Odds are that both flues terminate at the same height at the chimney top. This can lead to siphoning from one into the other, especially if the basement is a negative pressure zone. If this is the case, the solution is to put an extension on the upstairs flue to raise it 12-18" above the basement flue. They also make chimney flue balloons that can be inflated into the downstairs flue to block it off.

Do a google search for chimney flue extension or extender or stretcher. Here is one example: