Help with weird venting situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwater

Apr 23, 2012
I am going to install a pellet stove in my home in the next two months. I am trying to figure out my venting situation & wanted to see what my options are. I am going to put the stove in a corner facing the long part of the house but the out side wall contains sliders going out to a deck. the distance between the edge of the sliders & the corner wall is 11.5", I am not sure I can get a wall plate mounted in that tight of a space plus the fact that it vents out to a deck. There is also a vented soffit above the deck that is 8.5' off the deck. Finally the stack would be 42" from the door opening so it looks like I need to go through the roof. I don't mind going through the roof but it looks like it will be 20' of 4" corn pipe to clear the top of the garage roof peak to the right since I am installing a multi fueler. My final option is to go out through the wall 4 feet into the garage which is under a staircase then a 45 or 90 degree out the wall & another 90 degree up for as high as I want to go. None of my options sound pretty good & or easy. The price alone in going out through the roof is about $725 in materials. So venting over the deck isn't allowable correct? I have looked in a few stove manuals & while I don't see it specificaly listed I assume it is generally not a good idea? Please tell me I am missing something.

Attachments

• DSCN2103.JPG
    DSCN2103.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN2104.JPG
    DSCN2104.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 118
what unit are you planning on installing? some of these questions really hinge on the particulars of the machine.

Go up through the roof. You do not need to clear the roof peak, 12" above shingles. Do not use Corn Vent, use Dura Vent PVP 4".

Eric

I'd go up through the roof as long as the vent doesn't come through in the middle or too close to the valley of your roof. That could create some issues depending upon ice and snow build up during the winter months. Plus it'll vent naturally if your power goes out. Unlike direct venting out your wall

I am looking at the TimberRidge 49-TRCPM. I am worried about snow removal & the stove pipe being to close to the valley. It looks like I will need to go up 12' to clear the garage peak to the right.

Go up through the roof. You do not need to clear the roof peak, 12" above shingles. Do not use Corn Vent, use Dura Vent PVP 4".

Eric
Eric, I don't have to clear the roof to the right? I see the spec shows 10' away in front or rear of the vent with no mention of side clearances.

I would double check that, sounds like for a wood stove and not a forced draft pellet stove but it is a TimberRidge (nothing wrong with it that I know of but I do not sell them).

Eric

What about going through the wall at the stove 24" to clear the eve then straight up past the gutter? I spoke with an installer yesterday & we need to be 2' away from any obstructions, if I were to go on the outside of the gutter I would be the required 2' from any obstructions, i.e. the garage.

I am not a fan of going through the garage like you mention...will get expensive with at least two thimbles and all.....and most likely would require 4" pipe, due to EVL. I am also not a fan of through the roof, although in this case it might be your best choice. The problem with roof installs is compromising the roof integrity, items in the attic inadvertently touching or encasing the pipe, and in my experience, folks tend not to celan the pipe diligently due to the lack of quick accessability to the roof. There are issues with any install, and most can be overcome. If you look in your owners manual, ut should give you clearance info to the soffit, the deck, operable window and doors, etc. Who knows, maybe you have no choice other than going through the roof.

I have read a few install manuals & I am thinking of going out the back wall & up over the gutter th avoid cutting into the roof as well as keeping the vent as simple as possible. Plus it would make it easier to keep the vent clean, just straight out the wall & up.

I have read a few install manuals & I am thinking of going out the back wall & up over the gutter th avoid cutting into the roof as well as keeping the vent as simple as possible. Plus it would make it easier to keep the vent clean, just straight out the wall & up.

the manual that matters is the manual for your particular stove. whomever does the inspection in your area SHOULD ask for the manual when checking the install. Some manufacturers will let you vent above a deck or under a soffit......just depends on measurements. Often you have to be 7' above the deck, but 12" below a soffit, etc, and it might not fit given those constraints in alot of cases......just depends on your situation, of course! Also dont forget the clearance to operable windows and doors!

Yes, I agree. To clarify I am reading the stove manuals that I am considering purchasing & with either I can go out of the wall. By going out of the wall 2' & then up with a 90 degree I will have enough vertical rise to clear the obstructions.

Yes, I agree. To clarify I am reading the stove manuals that I am considering purchasing & with either I can go out of the wall. By going out of the wall 2' & then up with a 90 degree I will have enough vertical rise to clear the obstructions.

use a tee rather than an elbow to go vertical......makes cleaning easier

Status
Not open for further replies.