Help with wild flame.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JCoxBuilder

Nov 3, 2017
Whitefield
Hi everyone - my Harman is running well, heating up and I’m definitely on the right track however after the new circuit board was installed on my P68 I have noticed a difference with my flame. It is constantly wild. I can tell that the draft is higher than what it was before the new circuit board was installed. I was here and we talked about deed rate and dip switches so I know there are set correctly.

I don’t want to make things worse but I also don’t want to be “that customer” I understand that there is a white adjustable setting on the board. Right now it is set at 9 o’clock. I have a direct vent. It wasn’t doing this prior to the new board so I’m assuming there is an adjustment that I can make.

Please help. Thank you!

Hi everyone - my Harman is running well, heating up and I’m definitely on the right track however after the new circuit board was installed on my P68 I have noticed a difference with my flame. It is constantly wild. I can tell that the draft is higher than what it was before the new circuit board was installed. I was here and we talked about deed rate and dip switches so I know there are set correctly.

I don’t want to make things worse but I also don’t want to be “that customer” I understand that there is a white adjustable setting on the board. Right now it is set at 9 o’clock. I have a direct vent. It wasn’t doing this prior to the new board so I’m assuming there is an adjustment that I can make.

Please help. Thank you!
What settings are you running? Feed rate, room temp, stove temp, auto, disabled...

constant burn, on 4.5 set at 85 and I believe I found where the hum is coming from! When I spin my combustion fan and watch it it wobbles! Would this affect the flame? Also the plate that I remove to get to it doesn’t sit completely flat against the back is that normal?

This is my year for pellet stove issues

the plate must rest firmly

your plate is dented or deformed

Thank you it doesn’t sit terribly but I will certainly buy a new one. And the fan wobbling would add to noise to correct? It certainly isn’t balanced.

What is "constantly wild"???
In my experience, the newer the board, the cleaner a stove burns. Programming is different.
When a Harman calls for heat, the flames slowy grow, and should be active, usually flames will to right up to the top of fire box. Then, as heat setting is met, flames drop. That must be happening, or you would be complaining that room gets 90 degrees. Or perhaps it is in old leaky house and is always calling for max.
So, obviously, you need to give more information, perhaps make a few videos and post.
You can turn the combustion fan "pot" all the way down, CCW, but generally only affects low burn/maintain mode. It does not give enough adjustment to adversely affect the stove.
You could probably turn your feed setting down, have you tried watching the ash line, as stove has been burning on high, 1/2 hour or longer?
Also.a while back, you worked on your stove, did something wrong,I guess, and you were blowing control board fuses. You never came back to tell us what the problem was?

Reactions: Washed-Up
Oh, I don't think you have a problem with the cover plate, from your description, what you have is, you have bent your impeller.People bend them,sometimes, when cleaning. Sometimes, you can bend the fins straight, sometimes they snap off, from being hot so many times. It will still work, but may cause noise and vibrations.

Bob,

I’m sorry I have been all over the place with these posts lately. I feel like this has been the year of the pellet stove.

I didn’t blow a fuse - I blew my circuit board by running it on a generator. Initially we didn’t think anything was wrong with the blade but ultimately it was and so the circuit board was replaced last week. Upon the new circuit board the flame seems to be very high and not full, it pushes against the brick which I’m assuming is a good thing but there is also a very low hum that is new as well which I’m not sure is the blade or a draft issue setting on the new board. The fan doesn’t spin evenly, I haven’t cleaned it so I’m assuming it’s wear and tear? Will post some pictures soon.

Please help -

I own a Harman P68 pellet stove. I fired it up last night and I noticed what sounds like a low hum. It isn’t constant but it happens every minute or so for 10 seconds. I believe it’s coming from the combustion motor because when it makes that sound and I put pressure on the back of the motor it stops or at least gets quieter. The motor also sounds a little grizzly when it spins. I NEED to fix this ASAP and am going to take it upon myself to do.

My question is, is this what happens when a combustion motor starts to go on the Fritz and how hard is it to replace? It looks easy.

Please help and offer any advice!! PS just did a deep clean

Hi everyone. Running into some issues here -

I own a Harman p68. The combustion blower was starting to go so I went and bought and installed a new one direct from dealer. I fired it up and blew a fuse and power board showed no power. I replaced the fuse, unplugged the combustion blower and the power light stays lit and I ran test and everything except for the combustion blower runs so to the Best of my knowledge everything else is run to its proper wiring.

So, a break down. I replaced the combustion motor, I blow a fuse and the power goes out. I unplug the cumbustion motor, re install a new fuse and the power is on and everything seems ok.

Is the new combustion motor faulty? Is it supposed to be installed in a specific up and down placement?

I’m confused, and cold. Haha

This hum is different it’s not a motor hum, more or a low woofing sound that’s why I thought perhaps the fan to the combustion blower or too much draft.

Can you post a video of the “wild flame”and some photos of the “plate”…it’ll help clear up some loose info

Does the woofing sound change when you open the hopper lid? My P61 has an outside air kit using accordion type flex pipe. Pulsations are clearly seen in flame that corresponds to inlet pipe pulsing. Guessing you have same situation and opening hopper lid while observing flame might be a clue

I have managed to tame the flame. I had to make some adjustments on controls but am happy there. Unfortunately the pulsing sound still persists and I have narrowed it down to my combustion blower. I’m going to call and have it replaced. It’s either the fan which when I spin it manually you can see that it’s warped or the blower.. lid doesn’t change the sound.