Help with wood ID, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jharris70

Dec 26, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Several down trees in my old neighborhood since Friday. I picked up several logs of this today. What do you think it is? There is more to get if it is a good hardwood. Thanks!
IMG_0282.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly oak? Is it heavy? Where do you live?

It actually felt a little lighter than I thought it would when I picked it up. I am in Baltimore, MD.

I just picked up some pieces of this wood below as well.
IMG_0286.JPG

Maple?

Thanks for the replies. Cottonwood would be fine for our fire pit. Oak would be much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The wood in the vehicle looks like red maple.

Reactions: jackatc1
Wood in car is oak. The bark is too heavy for Soft Maple

Reactions: jackatc1
1st picture: Cottonwood
2nd picture: Red (soft) Maple

There's no Cottonwood in Maryland. Not a native species here. Bark looks like Black Walnut in #1. The center is usually darker though. #2 does look like Red Maple.

Kevin

maryland guy here. and i love and pride myself on my wood ID skills. so much fun!

pic one- chestnut oak

pic two- (the car pic) oak, looks to be pin or willow

1000% sure on these.

Kingsville, MD here and only thing around me is cedar. Lots of cedar and pine. The big ones hat came down were mostly taken away by the crews. Still looking but just got power back tonight so I have been busy.

Did grab a truck load of cedar to mix in and may get more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you have is firewood. I don't think either is oak. Pic one I agree with poplar/cottonwood and pic two in car looks like tree of heaven to me. It's all free BTUs.

Holy crap does anybody know what oak is?! Hilarious

Holy crap does anybody know what oak is?! Hilarious

Yep and that's what it is. Never, ever seen cottonwood here. Natural or landscape planting. Def not maple in car.

I've cut enough chestnut oak to know what it looks like.

Reactions: jharris70
I was just judging by the punky, crappy looking wood on the busted off limb in the first picture that resembles any piece of Eastern Cottonwood I’ve ever encountered. And since I’ve never in my life seen oak with a greenish brown center with white sapwood I thought it was the soft maple that it looks exactly like to me. The regional differences of opinion are interesting.

Reactions: BenTN
It’d actually be cool to see some of the splits after the OP gets around to processing it

Reactions: BenTN
I agree with all who have said pic one is chestnut oak, 100%. I’m having a hard time with two but I’ve never seen maple bark as thick as what’s in that picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is interesting to note the regional differences of opinion. I posted a picture similar to the first last year and got a lot of cottonwood and sassafras suggestions until I mentioned that it was much heavier than the red oak I was splitting the same day. Then the consensus changed to chestnut oak. When I saw the first picture, I thought of chestnut oak immediately but then the OP said it was much lighter than he expected.

At the time of my post I had never knowingly seen a cottonwood. Only a few weeks later my daughter showed me some growing in a park we had frequented for years. The bark was similar.

Tulip poplar is a type of magnolia, not the same as poplar/cottonwood. The wood looks very different inside.

Alright Jharris, we are going to need pics of the split grain and a pic of a fresh cut end grain would be good too.
Pic 1 looks like a lengthy piece. Did you cut it again to burning length? Was it greenish/olive colored heartwood when fresh cut and oxidize to redish brown? Smell like piss?