Help with wood ID, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pic 2 is def not tulip poplar either. Cut split and burn a lot of it that. And that's not it. It has yellow heartwood and the bark is much different.

Sticking w chestnut oak- it's limb wood, it always looks like that.

Better yet. The OP could go grab a handful of leaves from where he got it.​

Pic 2 is def not tulip poplar either. Cut split and burn a lot of it that. And that's not it. It has yellow heartwood and the bark is much different.

Sticking w chestnut oak- it's limb wood, it always looks like that.

Better yet. The OP could go grab a handful of leaves from where he got it.​

I haven’t split it yet but went back for some pics after seeing last nights debate! I will split this weekend. See pics below...the nuts were around the base of the tree. Crossing my fingers for oak!

IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How about Tulip Poplar. I consider it the same as Poplar/Aspen/Cottonwood.
OP said wood was lighter than expected.Said tree was neighborhood tree/Yard tree.
I don't remember seeing any Chestnut/Rock Oaks in a yard.I have seen many poplars
in yards.
Check out this famous one right down the road from MD.
And check out the bark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tho...AhXPT98KHc-ZC5QQ9QEIYjAH#imgrc=PxN-sd3AP42i7M:

I have two big tulip poplars in my yard. The bark is not nearly as deeply ridged as the pic 1. Pic 1 is in a wooded area. Pic2 was in a yard.

I may take back my lighter than expected comment. I just moved the cut again, and it was heavy. Although I have scrounged a lot of wood this week so the body is feeling fatigued! Thanks.

Those are walnuts. Black walnut is very good firewood and that's a big one. Congrats on the haul! Get all you can.

Last edited:
Yes, seeing the tree as well- I would say it's black walnut. It's great wood! Not quite as high BTU as oak, but still very good.

I failed.

Last edited:
It is most definately NOT walnut. IMHO that is... Cottonwood

If it's cottonwood it's the first I have ever seen in md. Ever. Could be someone planted it. However didn't look like it's a speciemen tree. It's in a wooded area. I have seen many a cottonwood in my forays west. Yes the bark is similar, thick and bumpy. Black walnut and chestnut oak both have similar bark characteristics and are very common in our region.

Determining a species of tree from a picture is difficult but here is a picture of some chestnut oak from my stacks to compare with the first picture. I’m sticking with chestnut oak.
c7f0731543f2a6051a3e564e83c855b2.jpg
d1d58953b54c950e13ddf0a1f5b73a1a.jpg

Keep in mind this wood has been split and stacked for nearly 5 years. FYI chestnut oak is a little lighter than most white oak species.

The Pics of the downed tree from which the original post pic came from give zero indication of oak... Wrong color heartwood, no medullary rays, etc. And to me indicate Cottonwood, especially from the way the fiber broke when the tree came down.

Reactions: Eureka and BenTN