Help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hamslam42

Oct 13, 2015
Columbus, OH
I'm terrible with tree identification. This tree came down in the woods behind my house, it was dead and I have no leaves to go off of. Most of what I burn is ash since we have so much of that now in central Ohio. My guess after looking online is red oak, but thought I would run it by all the helpful folks here.

IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like black locust. Great score!

Reactions: TreePointer
x2 black locust. I got my hands on a bunch this year myself but have yet to ever burn any. splits and smells nice though!

I've heard people say it doesn't require seasoning kind of like ash. Anyone ever try burning it green?

X3 black locust, great firewood. I just scored a face cord of it myself, for me it can be a tough splitting wood as it is very strong especially if you hit any knots.

As far as burning it green I have burned some standing dead/ somewhat alive BL and it burned pretty good that day with a hot fire going already. Lots of heat, save it for a cold night! Congrats

Big black ants seem to love black locust. Did you see any coming out of the "holes" in that beautiful block of BTUs?

Reactions: D8Chumley
BL is pretty fun stuff. The bark can be so dang thick that I don't mind popping it off if it wants to go. I've always suspected that the bark can give it a little bit of a medicine-y kind of smell when burning.

That row of rounds looks beautiful.

Thanks to all for the help! Appreciate the quick response. It was a nice long mostly straight tree with very few knots so I'm expecting splitting to go pretty well.

Big black ants seem to love black locust. Did you see any coming out of the "holes" in that beautiful block of BTUs?

I don't remember noticing a huge amounts of ants with this one. There was also part of a dead ash that this tree knocked down when it fell and I processed some of that tree with this one as well, and the ash was obviously dead longer than this tree, and there were a few sections of the ash that had ants pouring out while bucking.