Help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KG19

May 15, 2022
SW Wisconsin
I’m new to using a wood stove and have been collecting wood this spring from our town dump site - most of it is just logs with no leaves, so I’m struggling to identify just from the bark. Anyone able to help? I think the last photo might be elm?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

My hunch on the first photo is chestnut oak, which would be really good if it's true.

Second photo is silver maple?

No guess yet on the third.

#1 - Siberian elm
#2 - silver maple
#3 - American elm

Reactions: Lakeside
First looks like oak. Number 3 I don't know but it is not ash.

Well , if you are grabbing everything then generally the heavier the better. And bring your maul and make sure it splits easily. Dry weight of seasoned wood pretty much tells you how many btu's are in it. The heavier the dry splits are the better.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking at first that picture 1 was some kind of oak, but it seemed too light, quite a bit lighter than ash that’s about the same size (about 3/4 of my wood is ash, which I think is easy to identify by the bark). I have a black walnut tree in my yard and the bark of #1 looks really similar, but I didn’t think the wood looked like black walnut from pictures I looked up online.

3 does look like the bark on my "princeton" elm in front of my house.

Reactions: CincyBurner
3 does look like the bark on my "princeton" elm in front of my house.
Yep, for smaller chunks it's that particular diameter when it's transitioning from smooth to flakey bark.
Plus dark heartwood. These are things that caught my eye as American elm.

If the first one is not heavy, cottonwood is a good guess.