HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Install went flawless yesterday and I was able to do all three break-in fires. I lit a fire today and its burning nicely got the stove up to 400* and still rising. My problem is that I went outside and smoke it coming out of the flue?!?!?!? brand new through the wall .................. I'm concerned because I know that I should be seeing no smoke rising

What kind of wood are you burning? How dry is it?

A virgin fire will smoke until the stove reaches its proper operating temperature. After that it'll only smoke for a few minutes after you load fresh wood...cause now the remaining hot coals will help keep that proper operation temp.

I just checked and I now see nothing. Cruising at 500* ........ SWEET WITH NICE SECONDARY ACTION ...... WILL POST PICS LATER TODAY

Even the best wood stoves will smoke as the fire heats up.

Please explain what is meant by "secondary action" in regard to the stove. Is like another new fire ? I had the installer to come today but he hurt his knee so is coming on SUNDAY if you want to believe that! I can not wait since it is a well used stove I will be able to just start a good fire and heat the house right? I mean heat what part of the house it will heat, not the primary source of heat but augmentation of heat. I love the warmth wood heat gives!

sandie said:
Please explain what is meant by "secondary action" in regard to the stove.

All of todays EPA stoves have some method to reburn the smoke coming from the fire. This is done by a Cat or a set of tubes at the top of the firebox. The "secondary burn" term comes from the rolling flame/fire at the top of the firebox (caused by the cat or tubes reburning smoke).

Edit: its kind of like a "phantom" flame at the top of the box. There is fire...but why? Where the heck is it coming from?? :coolsmile:

And yes, you should be able to fire that bad boy up on install. Maybe ask your installer for a few pointers to get you started (like proper stove top temps and such)

sandie said:
Please explain what is meant by "secondary action" in regard to the stove. Is like another new fire ? I had the installer to come today but he hurt his knee so is coming on SUNDAY if you want to believe that! I can not wait since it is a well used stove I will be able to just start a good fire and heat the house right? I mean heat what part of the house it will heat, not the primary source of heat but augmentation of heat. I love the warmth wood heat gives!

"Secondary action" refers to secondary combustion. In a non-catalytic EPA stove, this is often a bright, vivid fire on top of the wood caused by the gases released from the wood burning (primary combustion) as they combust and burn. In a stove with burn tubes, it often looks like the tubes on a gas stove/grill burning.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6fXfjVQ9hE&feature=related

It looks like the "Aurora Borealis" in your
woodstove. In miniature of course!

So I will not have that with the VC era 1985 Resolute right? it does have baffles but..

sandie said:
So I will not have that with the VC era 1985 Resolute right? it does have baffles but..

I am not sure of my date accuracy so this may be misleading, but I think that box was an EPA phase 1. I think that if you do have any light show, it will be minimal compared to the phase 2 boxes.

That would be good. There is mention of secondary burn wth the baffles in back so I am glad if true. It is what it is and cannot wait to see it up and flaming Hope it all works well. I have learned so much on this forum!!! You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.