Hey FFJake, need a little help here.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Hey, firefighterjake

I think I have a problem here......

A crack on the top of my stove right under where the oval top plate sits on the top of my Oslo...... (attached a picture)

What's your comment? Need to order a new top?

Hope you & family are all are well. Long time no speak! :)

Shari

Hey FFJake, need a little help here.......

• Sad
Reactions: ispinwool
Hey, firefighterjake

I think I have a problem here......

A crack on the top of my stove right under where the oval top plate sits on the top of my Oslo...... (attached a picture)

What's your comment? Need to order a new top?

Hope you & family are all are well. Long time no speak! :)

Shari

View attachment 302895
You will eventually have to yes. I would order it but wouldn't be scared to use it untill you get the new one. I have seen ones burn like that for years

Reactions: Shari
Hi Shari, sorry about the little crack. You could try drilling a small 3/32" hole at the end of the crack to stop its spread. Fill the hole with a dab of stove cement to make it disappear.

Hi Shari, sorry about the little crack. You could try drilling a small 3/32" hole at the end of the crack to stop its spread. Fill the hole with a dab of stove cement to make it disappear.
What would have caused this? As near as I know there never has been an overfire.......... I am baffled. There is a very small cast iron 'nub' on the exact backside of this crack. Stress fracture?

It might be a flaw. Has anything cold been placed or spilled there when the stove was hot?

It might be a flaw. Has anything cold been placed or spilled there when the stove was hot?
Not that I recall. That little nub on the backside is directly under the crack so I'm wondering if this is a know stress area where they added the nub to halt a crack...............