Hi there!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CastIronQueen

May 31, 2021
Chicago
Hello all I'm new here and from Chicago.
I have a pretty healthy love for wood stoves, antique stoves, and pretty much anything that I can cook on. Love cooking, and late last year we purchased our first ever wood stove. It was used and needed alot of love, after 2 months of hard work, and working with US stove, the little guy is restored, to a beautiful working standard. Looking forward to reading all that you have to offer!

IMG_20201128_131444.jpg IMG_20201104_161807.jpg

Welcome. That certainly is an improvement. What is the age of the stove or model number? Does it have a secondary combustion system (tubes) or just a simple baffle?

Reactions: CastIronQueen
This is a Vogelzang Frontiersman. It's model year is from 2005. It has a simple baffle.
Some of the things that struck me was that it had a blower motor, and a heatshield. These were things I never knew about going into getting a wood stove.

Very Nice restoration!

This is a Vogelzang Frontiersman. It's model year is from 2005. It has a simple baffle.
Some of the things that struck me was that it had a blower motor, and a heatshield. These were things I never knew about going into getting a wood stove.
Does it have an air control lever? Some of theirs met emissions requirements by simply not letting you shut it back at all.

Does it have an air control lever? Some of theirs met emissions requirements by simply not letting you shut it back at all.
I think this might have been a 35:1 stove with a damper in the flue collar.

Yup, there is a flue in the collar, there is what looks like a small vent under the glass door. It also came with a blower motor. (I had to replace that too).

We are getting the hearth pad ready for it. The frame has been built, now we have to reinforce it. Then we will tile both pad and corner. We are tiling with linear quartz on the wall, and dark grey porclein for the base.

Make sure the hearth pad meets the required r value and you honor all clearances for the stove. The clearances are quite large for this stove.

Yup, there is a flue in the collar, there is what looks like a small vent under the glass door. It also came with a blower motor. (I had to replace that too).
That is a damper. The flue is the interior passage of the chimney

We have measured out the clearances, so we know where it'll stand we have foam insulation in the corner with reflective wrap. The corner will be lined with cement board. Then tiled. I'm over obsessed with ways of doing this safely.
We are installing it in the back porch, and it's not our only source of heat. It's rated to heat up to 1092 sq ft. Our main floor is 1000 sq ft.

That all is good, but the cement board does nothing to reduce clearances. It needs 33" from the back of the stove or 28" from the corners in a corner installation. This can be reduced to 12" with proper NFPA 211 ventilated wall shields behind the stove. If that is done, note that the connecting stove pipe still needs 18" clearance if it is single-wall.

basicly you create a false wall stepped 1" out from the true wall with an air gap at the bottom and top so air can pass behind it

We have double walled chimney pipe, where can I find more info on these ventilated wall sheilds?

To give you an idea of a ventilated fire proof wall. From the back to the inside : alu. foil, steel sheet, air gap, metalic studs, cement board. I made a sample (photo *1) for the insurrance man and I tested the sample with a gas torch with thermometers on the front and the back of the sample....They told me that I could place the stove as close to the wall as I would like it to be. At the top and at the base of the wall there are wire mesh openings for air circulation (photo *3). Over heat proof but I wanted the stove placed close to the wall in a so small room.

Attachments

• DSC03490.JPG
    DSC03490.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC03438.JPG
    DSC03438.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC03451.JPG
    DSC03451.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC03458.JPG
    DSC03458.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 106
To give you an idea of a ventilated fire proof wall. From the back to the inside : alu. foil, steel sheet, air gap, metalic studs, cement board. I made a sample (photo *1) for the insurrance man and I tested the sample with a gas torch with thermometers on the front and the back of the sample....They told me that I could place the stove as close to the wall as I would like it to be. At the top and at the base of the wall there are wire mesh openings for air circulation (photo *3). Over heat proof but I wanted the stove placed close to the wall in a so small room.
We usually use steel studs like that as well. What is the finish material on that wall? That isn't enough hearth on the sides for the us if that is an unlisted stove. I don't know what the Canadian requirement is though.

We usually use steel studs like that as well. What is the finish material on that wall? That isn't enough hearth on the sides for the us if that is an unlisted stove. I don't know what the Canadian requirement is though.
It's cement board for heat protection but I don't remember the exact name. Tha antique stove was a anthracite stove and pss the insurance tests. In fact the stove was avery small one. Now with the Squirrel, the hearth is almost too large LOL.

It's cement board for heat protection but I don't remember the exact name. Tha antique stove was a anthracite stove and pss the insurance tests. In fact the stove was avery small one. Now with the Squirrel, the hearth is almost too large LOL.
I figured it was cement board. That hearth wouldn't be enough in the us for coal either. Any unlisted solid fuel burner needs 18" all around it here. But yeah for a squirrel I am sure it's more than enough

It's not possible without covering some of the window area.

The wall shield would need to be about 6" higher than the wood stove.

Not exactly on the subject here but concern the heat protection one. If the codes ask for 16 or 18 inches from the stove to combusting materials, it's probably to protect the combustible materials from burning down or avoid it as much as possible.
How stoves like my Heritage having 4 combusting wood handles located very close to the stove can meet the same safety codes ?
Maybe a curious question but I have it in my head from a long time ! Thanks

Reactions: bholler