HI2450 Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jvandermark

Nov 29, 2019
Ohio
Hi, I have a HI2450 insert and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get temperature readings and from where. If anyone could help me with what to get and where to place it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

That's a dilemma with an insert. The top center of the door may be the best bet.

Not sure what the access would look like to put a stove top thermometer in the little slot where the warm air comes out. That would actually be the insert’s stove top. I have a Jotul insert and that seems to work pretty well, but the Regency looks like it might have a narrower slut, so I’m not sure if this would be a possibility for you.

Hi. I have an HI300 which I think is your stove's predecessor.

At first I used an infrared gun (cheap), aiming it at the slot. It is narrow, and you have to move it around to get the max temp.

A while ago, I rigged up a system that turns the fan to hi when the stove top hits 700F. I try to keep it under 700. 700 is arbitrary, but I think it works for me.

I put a thermocouple on the insert top and used a thermo switch that is tied into the fan wiring. It has an led display with the current temperature and setpoint.

I recently set it up to turn the fan on (and off) at 200F. I never liked the thermoswitch.

I wrote up a thread on it. I used Auber Instruments stuff. They have a new thermocouple with a high temperature magnet that would seem to be ideal.

On my setup, I have a tall chimney that developed a lot of draft. The stove has a tendency burn with a lot of air, I guess due to EPA. It had an uncontrollable feel to it. I wound up figuring out how to cut down on the air, and it's been a pleasure ever since-nice rolling secondaries, etc. I really love the insert, especially after doing this. But you might not have excessive draft.

Here's the thread I wrote up.

I am going to second the Auber instruments. I have two AT200s. For my insert I am measuring flue gas temps. I have a washer probe too tucked under the liner insulation on my stove. With the IR gun I was getting up every couple minutes to check it. With the AT200 digital readout I don’t have to get up and it has a high temp alarm.

If you don’t want to take the surround off and still want it too look pretty I’m not to sure the best location. Once you take off the surround you have lots of options.

Here is a picture from tonight. I’m measuring under the top plate where the blower blows out. The highest temp I got was 512 and the air is turned almost all the way down.

DF7ECFC9-5D49-4DC5-AE4D-D07E7068995B.jpeg

I just aimed my IR gun at the slot. Highest I got was 250f. The therm control (thermocouple on stove top) reads 344f. So, like 100f low.
I got a more accurate matching reading by pointing at the top of the door glass.