high ash premium pellets n auger speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdez

Dec 29, 2009
eastern PA
Hey all, well 3 months ago i didn't think i'd be posting on a pellet site but here i am :) great site btw.

I purchased a new Harman p61a and had it professionally installed. I got 10 bags of barefoot pellets from the installers until my pellets from woodpellets.com arrived (great service btw, the delivery guy did some unbelievable driving to get them in my place). However the pellets that i purchased from them, 'pure flame' Product Details * *Ash: less than 0.61% * *Moisture: less than 6.37% * *Heating Value: 8042 BTU/lb seem to be SUPER ashy and i can't be certain but i don't think they're at hot as the barefoot.

The installer set my stove on auger speed 3 and that's what i was burning the barefoot on. I noticed that these pure flames are much longer and much lighter than the barefoot and seem to shoot a lot of burning sprites up out of my flame as it burns. Also the flame doesn't get nearly as high. Even on a high setting with it being 58 in my place and having my stove on 75 room temp the flame still doesn't get higher than about 6" or it will then die down then be lop sided then low etc.. Also they seem to be very ashy. I clean the side shelves and back side shelves on my stove and in about 4 hours they're completely covered with fluffy ash almost 1/8" high or higher. Also the ash ghosting on the glass is MUCH higher with these than with the barefoot though it comes right off. N yes I clean my burn pot regularly so i don't think my flames lazy, the stove has only been running for about 2 weeks.

I was doing a lot of reading last night and think i need to try my stove on 4 or 4.5 auger speed but wanted to know what you all thought and if you had good experiences with these pellets. In hind sight i wish i had just stayed with the barefoot but i got a better price on woodpellets.com . I'm not giving up on these pellets though, I'm hopefull that i can tweak my stove to get them to burn well. (crosses fingers).

Thanks for all your help!

I don't have any experience with those pellets, but you definitely have to increase your feed rate (I think what you call auger speed) to 4 or 4.5. Barefoot is a small pellet and works well on a feed rate of 3. Higher ash and longer pellets seem to need a higher feed rate. That should give you a higher flame as well. Give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.