1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

High wind & Red Flag warnings

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bogydave, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Mat Valley:
    75MPH winds,:eek:
    Red flag : Fire warnings with low humidity.
    Had one fire near Palmer this afternoon .

Weird winter. No snow. Clear, cold & dry & now high winds.

highwnd.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

Power line fell around lunch and started a fire out here. They got it put out fairly quickly and power restored.
  3. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Shesh...those kinds of winds would make me crazy trying to keep the draft under control.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

The winds don't really effect my stove. The wind is normal, the fires not so much!
  5. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    20-30 is somewhat normal here in winter, but above that or the right direction and the draft gets REALLY good. Our flue is just a straight shot from the stove through the attic and out near the peak with only maybe 4' outside. I wonder if cat stoves behave differently in wind than tube stoves.

Yeah, seeing a fire hazard warning in late November for Alaska was a eye brow raiser. Kinda figure'd there's be snow enough by now to make that not so much of a problem. Do you typically have snow cover by now/

I swear I remember a lot more snow by now years ago. Seems more often now to have rain for Christmas than snow.
  6. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    We had a little snow so far an inch or 2 by the weather data., It evaporated or blew away.
    25°, 35 MPH winds, gusts up to 57 MPH, clear, dusty.
    Wind even blew a few spruce splits off the stack in the wood shed.
    Today's picture,10AM , Sun be up over the Mts soon ;)
    Nov30,12wood.JPG
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

Recorded 68mph gusts so far.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hey there Bogy! I remember you telling about how windy it gets a couple years ago. Batten down the hatches! By the way, looks like you woodshed needs a moose alongside it...again! Is your sunrise relly that late???
  9. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Sure glad not using tarps anymore.
    We go below 6 hours of sun in a few days <>
    Sun peeks over the Mts around 1040 AM. Official sun rise 9:47 but the shadow of the mountains with the low sun angle ( 7° ) now make it a little later here.
    Not much heat value in the sun now. In 3 weeks we start back to gaining daylight :)
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=18&month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Does this make you wonder about those days before television? Do you ever wonder what those folks did with all that time after dark?
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Large families werent just in rural or agricultural regions obviously.Johnny Carson said after the Great NYC Blackout in 1965 "In 9 months lots of newborn boys will be named Otis;)"