Hole in liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fakeybook

Oct 1, 2011
CT
My father and I tried to install a 6" liner through an 8x6 chimney...and it didn't go very well. We tried ovalizing it, and finally got it down the chimney. I checked it out and there's a small hole about a foot from the bottom.

My chimney is just over 23 feet and I got 25 feet of the Flex King Pro. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I have to buy a whole new liner? :(

Attachments

• small hole in liner-001.jpg
    small hole in liner-001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 347
It sounds like you have 2 feet of extra liner? I'm guessing you already sealed it to the top and cut it off if you can't pull it down enough to get rid of that hole?

If so, perhaps you can cut the liner there and add a splice like this one:

http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/round_components.php

lintolinconnectorlg.jpg

As far as a temp fix I'm not sure if it'd be safe to stick a screw in there and cover it w/ furnace cement or not. The liner would probably expand and contract too much and make the furnace cement fall out. hmm.

Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear you having troubles on your first post. Such a small hole, yet such a large pain in the rear.

pen

Thank you, I've been a lurker for a while now but thought to ask for suggestions since so many people are very helpful on this site.

That connector looks promising. I'll check into it, thanks again!

Were it me I would put a stainless steel pop rivet in the hole and then a stainless steel hose clamp around the liner and the repair. Stainless pop rivets aren't the rivets you find at most hardware stores but they can be found. Check with a boat repair place. Pretty much all hose clamps are stainless steel.

Couldnt he just screw a stainless screw into it? Naturally I wants to pull air in while hes burning anyway right? Ive seen an image here of an adjustable 45 in someones insert and he didnt know it till he pulled the surround off to see why his draft was so poor. How could this pin hole be a problem?

The Flex King Pro is a double liner. I can see the small hole from the picture on the outside but doesn't look like its on the inner part of liner.

Yeah but that strip inside is only corrugated on one edge unlike the outside layer. So it isn't sealed too.

Edit to add: And it is so thick that a standard coupler won't fit on it.

Pop rivet idea w/ clamp is good as it looks like a small hole.

I found this coupler by clicking on "Flex King Pro" on this website, then clicking on the flex king pro "components". No clue if it is any different than the other I listed, or if it will even work, but if their site's flow is correct then it should.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/998/category/Flex-Liner-Couplers.html

Not that I think you need to replace this entire liner, but if for whatever reason you do ever need to, 5.5 inch liners are available. With your chimney height the slightly smaller liner shouldn't cause you any problems and would probably stuff down a bit easier.

pen

If the coupler is for the thicker FK Pro then it should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.