Hollow area between firebox and chimney walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fudge2415

Jan 14, 2023
Canada
I have an old fire place that hasn’t been used in a long time. Being curious I put my camera up in the damper to look at the smoke shelf when I noticed a hollow area between the fire box and the chimney walls. Anyone know it’s purpose or if it should even be there? The other side of the smoke shelf is solid and doesn’t look like this.

9F9A5777-2D59-436A-965B-C0D0D5EAAF65.jpeg 4C1E540C-58BA-48F5-BD2B-31F87D7C8386.jpeg

That's probably where they stashed the gold coins after the bank heist. :)
It may be where someone tried to seal up a big crack. Is the chimney leaning at all?

I have an old fire place that hasn’t been used in a long time. Being curious I put my camera up in the damper to look at the smoke shelf when I noticed a hollow area between the fire box and the chimney walls. Anyone know it’s purpose or if it should even be there? The other side of the smoke shelf is solid and doesn’t look like this.

View attachment 308377 View attachment 308378
No purpose just a lazy mason

Do you think I’d get a lot of creosote build up down there. If so I think it would be very hard to clean
Yes you will get allot and it will be impossible to clean it should be sealed off

I'm wondering if it was intended to put another flue in when the fireplace was originally built.