Holy Blue, Batman!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellery

Mar 1, 2014
National Forest, NorCal
Only you fine folks here could even begin to understand this!

Last load of the night last night. Last turn down of air. Filled to the brim with well-seasoned, dry white oak since we dipped down into the 30' and I really wanted the house warm when we woke up.

Could barely keep my eyes open sitting in front of the fire but must have closed my eyes for a couple minutes. Like 1 a.m. or so. And what do I see? A box full of secondary blue. No orange, no red, no yellow, no nothing but this crazy beautiful shade of the lightest shade of blue I believe I have never seen before *sigh* and just these teeny tiny little etchings throughout of a white-grey.

So yeah, when you get as old as I do and get to have the privilege of seeing a first like that, so beautiful and cozy and warm it gave me goosebumps. Just have to share, thanks to all of you for the help and time over the past years to get to that amazing moment : )

Reactions: cheechblu and Ash
Ah yes, the "ghost burn".

Reactions: Cory S
Blue be the hottest!
I think the cleanest also.

Sounds like ya blue it. Well done.

Reactions: tarzan
Just wait until you see violet flames ... saw them once ... very hot fire that was approaching a temp that concerned me so I partially covered the incoming air with foil and the result was these unearthly looking violet secondaries that were rolling around almost in slow motion. Never seen them since then.

I had the blues last night. Last load of the night, put in some mulberry. Once the splits were well charred turned down the air supply and all I could see were the glowing embers below and blue/purple flames at the top near the burn tubes. Checked the temp of the top and she was cruising at 515 degrees. Not a hint of yellow in the fire just blue and purple. It was beautiful. That fire lasted until 6:30 this morning when I added some more mulberry and within 5 minutes she was in full re-light with full involvement of the load. Gotta love that mulberry!

As a wood-stive noobie, I am quite chuffed that I seem to be getting this right most of the time
image.jpg

Blue again last night from the mulberry. I wonder if it is something in the mulberry. Oh and when I say Blues, I am talking all blue - not a bit of yellow or orange flame at all. Just blue and violet. I'll get a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.