Homebuilt Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking for several months for a new insert, I was always disappointed with the viewing area of the ones available.

I really liked the JUCA design because it is not necessarily a airtight insert, but really just a heat exchanger. But again, the viewing area is small.

So, I thought I would take on the challenge of building one myself, if it didn't work, I could go buy one!

I ended up changing the big vents that look like "ears" to small ones made from 1/4" plate that I had left over. It uses 1/4" plate on the firebox and 3/16" on the outer shell with about an 1.5" between them with baffles. It uses a 336cfm fan on the right side and I was able to use the original fireplace screen/glass doors and lost zero viewing area. Hurray!

Let me know what you think! There is masking tape on top of the vents to show the air flowing out.

IMAGE_00017.jpg

P6190001.jpg

P6190002.jpg

P6190003-1.jpg

P6190005.jpg

P6190008.jpg

P6190010-1.jpg

SlyFerret said:
How do you control the combustion air?

-SF

There is a small slide under the doors that control the venting. I have put insulation all around the back and bottom of the front cover assembly but there is enough leakage that I can close the vent all the way and get about a 5 hour burn from 4-5 logs.

Just wondering what your homeowners insurance company might think of this.

Don't get me wrong. I like what you did and I think it looks great, but my insurance company requires the manufacturer's name, model and serial numbers, and the UL number of the stove.

Might not hurt to place an anonymous call to your/another agent with a 'just inquiring' question about home built stoves. I would hate to see anyone's insurance canceled.

I still think it looks great though. Nice work.

dj2cohen said:
Just wondering what your homeowners insurance company might think of this.

Don't get me wrong. I like what you did and I think it looks great, but my insurance company requires the manufacturer's name, model and serial numbers, and the UL number of the stove.

Might not hurt to place an anonymous call to your/another agent with a 'just inquiring' question about home built stoves. I would hate to see anyone's insurance canceled.

I still think it looks great though. Nice work.

Excellent thought, I'm always up for tidbits of wisdom.

Pook said:
is that ceramic glass doors? if not u might be leery of glass overheating & exploding. i did so years ago trying to put glass on a stove[before ceramic glass came to be]

They are the glass doors that came with the screen and doors. I would bet they are tempered glass and not ceramic. They were made for burning wood though.

The back of the stove is looking pretty shiny. Is this an exterior chimney? If that is creosote forming at the stove level, you'll want to keep a close eye on the chimney.

BeGreen said:
The back of the stove is looking pretty shiny. Is this an exterior chimney? If that is creosote forming at the stove level, you'll want to keep a close eye on the chimney.

Yes, it's an exterior chimney. I've checked the chimney a few times this year and there are still places that are the original color of the 12" X 12" clay liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.