1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Honda 5.5hp GX series has no spark

Post in 'The Gear' started by NoPaint, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    I have a Honda 5.5hp GX series engine (red fan shroud with white tank). The engine has no spark. I cleaned off the flywheel and still no spark. I am willing to throw some parts at it to fix it. Should I just replace the coil or condenser/both?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Check the ground on the coil, I have found a loose coil bolt/screw to cause no spark.
    Check coil with a ohm meter, should have a few ohms, almost a short thru the coil.
    Rare to have a coil go bad but possible. Cracked & got wet, look burned?
    Check the plug wire,
    Good spark plug? cracks, gap to big etc.
    Does it have an On/Off switch? make sure it's working & not shorted to ground when in the "ON"/ "run" position.
    If your sure it's bad, remove the plug, switch to the "run" position, put a screw driver in the plug wire cap, hold to the metal part of the screw driver in your hand, with your knee touching the engine, & give it a hard pull.
    Still able to speak something other than cuss words, something is definitely wrong. ;)
    Typically not very expensive to get repaired, small engine repair shop near you, probably have parts
  3. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI

And check your oil to see if it is low too or you will be asking us about low compresson next....LOL
  4. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    Haha yeah i grounded out the hose pressure switch on the pressure washer pump. I think the switch is fine simply because its so basic. I didn't know the oil switches go bad. I will ground that and see how it goes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.