1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Honda Generator with Harman P68

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Taylor Mahaffey, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Taylor Mahaffey

Taylor Mahaffey New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I am considering getting a Honda EU2000i Generator. I have read many specifications for this generator, and nowhere to be found is the words (PURE SINE WAVE) It simply states it is an "Inverter Generator". Does anyone on this forum have any experience with a (fairly modern) Harman Stove and the Honda Generator? Don't want to burn out any computer boards….

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
  3. MikeNH

MikeNH Member

Loc:
    Temple, NH
    I have a Yamaha EF2000iS which is very similar. I run the P61a through a Cyberpower UPS then into the Yamaha when we have an outage. No issues. I would think the Honda would be just fine as well as that generator puts out clean power.
  4. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    you're good to go :)
  5. Taylor Mahaffey

Loc:
    Maine
    Do you think I would need to run a UPS as well as the honda?
  6. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    only if you feel the need to keep the fire running while you hook up the genny .
  7. richkorn

richkorn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    It is an inverter. Produces DC and transforms to smooth AC sign wave output. Ran mine yesterday for 1/2 hour & monitored with kill-a-watt meter. Freq is 59.9 - 60.0 Hz constant. Doesn't get much purer.
  8. Taylor Mahaffey

Loc:
    Maine
    Excellent. Thanks for the input.
  9. MikeNH

MikeNH Member

Loc:
    Temple, NH
    I got the UPS because my stove is vented straight out the wall horizontally. The UPS keeps it running for the time it takes me to either shut the stove down or fire up the generator. With that stove, if the power goes out, there's no draft to send the exhaust out the pipe.
    P38X2 likes this.
  10. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    a ups is great. It gives you time to get things in motion. And, it allows you to unplug and re-plug in elsewhere (genny) without the stove even noticing.
  11. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I have high doubts a consumer UPS is going to "condition" your power in any way beneficial if your generator is acting up. It will allow you to avoid smoke in your house if your home and the electricity goes out or give you time to start up your generator. I finally gave in and bought a inverter generator last week ( the champion one ) sense we cant run our geothermal system with a generator I figured I better have a sound backup plan. I have a 120v transfer switch so I plan on shutting all the circuits off except the pellet stove one and the refrigerator one and let it hum away running those two items.
    holstein likes this.
  12. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    The idea of the ups is NOT to condition generator power at all.
    I believe the range is <80 140> volts is when the AVR on my cyberpower goes to battery. So it takes a pretty big spike/sag to kick it over. It won't clean up dirty modified generator power. In fact, the ups might not even charge/work on it.
    An invertor genny is still the answer for anything longer term.

When it IS on battery though, it IS pure sine invertor like power.

There are power conditioners out there for musicians that are pretty cheap. I've pondered getting one. I have music gear as well so if it doesn't work on the stove, I could always bring it to the club when I play out.
  13. boosted3g

boosted3g Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central PA
    My honda runs my stove just fine
  14. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

heck, I don't care how good the generator is.....please use a UPS regardless
  15. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    care to explain why ?
    moey likes this.
  16. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    We just got two of these generators at work. They are amazing we had the 1000 watt one but I needed something bigger. I have ran huge phone systems for buildings on these generators and monitored the voltage on the Server UPS. It looked great and we ran it for hours and hours

It will run a pellet stove no problem
  17. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

just because
  18. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    A consumer grade UPS will do nothing for you except allow you to shut the stove down cleanly. But thats a huge IF because you have to be home.
  19. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Because if your genny runs out of gas or there is any other issue the UPS with go to battery power instantly saving you from damaging your stove.....

Generators running out of gas tend to spike
    Lousyweather likes this.
  20. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    and your high quality surge protector won't do that ?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  21. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Surge protectors normally don't do anything until at least 360 volts(I don't remember exactly but around there) it is also my understanding that they work by diverting the surge to ground and most people don't ground their generators rendering them useless on generators that are not grounded....this is how they were explained to work to me .....I am not an electrician

They also wont keep your stove running while you fill the genny :)
  22. DZL_Damon

DZL_Damon Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I believe he is thinking about the more expensive to purchase/operate (but better) UPS's that are running through the battery all the time. It is constantly rectifying inlet power to charge the battery, then inverting to clean outlet power. If the power goes out, you are still running off the battery with not even a bump.

But, most homeowners have a switching UPS that runs off the inlet power and the battery of the UPS is charged in parallel. If the UPS senses a voltage drop or big spike it will shift to the battery back up. There is no advantage of cleaning up the generator's power with a standard homeowner UPS like the industrial ones do.