Honeywell Smart Valve Pilot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
if by chance there is a hole see if you can locate someone with a c/o meter and have the walk thru the house with the burner running. might be the beginnings

Thanks, I will mention that when he puts in the new pilot hood/bracket. He had some type of meter hooked up checking pressures so you would think he would have checked the exchanger.

sometimes a pin hole can make a world of difference.

Fbelec, would our carbon monoxide detectors go off if we had any present or would a pin hole crack not give off enough to activate them? Thanks.

i've gone into houses that one of the plumbers that i work with has a c/o certificate and uses his meter walking in and there would be a hole in a heat exchanger and the detector never went off but the people who live there when asked how are you been feeling and said we all been having headaches. the detectors sold are not very good but they are better than not having any protection. forced air furnaces are the worst with the problem because it's air floating around the whole thing and no one notices. sometimes on a furnace the burner lights no with no problems but then it comes up to temp and the main blower comes on to start circulation and is so strong that it pulls the spent gas out thru the hole in the exchanger and spreads it around the house. first thing is to before condemning the furnace is to light it off and continue to watch the flame if it changes when the main blower comes on it's time to look at the exchanger which is not easy. if the flame changes and a c/o detector goes off or c/o meter goes up 99.9% of time the furnace is junk. the holes normally are around the welds or seams of the tubes of the exchanger

The service tech watched the burners and said we were getting a good flame, nice and blue with no distortion. Still waiting on the replacement pilot assembly but in the mean time it is functioning with the 2" gap in the door.

Update: Replaced the complete pilot assembly, including the tubing, and it is working better than it ever has. Tech compared the old and new and could not see anything obvious but evidently something was off just enough to cause problems. Threw a few parts at it that we did not need to but that is the process and the end result is success.

It has been over 3 weeks and it works better than ever still. Got my invoice and they only charged for parts, I had already paid one hour labor, and he was here 4 times for a total of about 6 hours. I had helped the service tech when he got stuck in the snow so they took care of me. Really can't complain at $95 per hour even if we did throw a few extra parts at it.