hopefully I can get help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awaj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2010
PA
A friend of mine installed a Alaskan stove Kodiac a few years ago, and the township wants to inspect 4 or more years later. They claim the wood stove has to be about 3 feet away from anything flammable, and forcing my friend to put it in a bad position for the room, or replacing it with a newer one... Would someone happen to have a PDF form of the manual, or know where I can get one from? the manufacturer doesn't have one because it was stopped a long time ago.

Whoa. I do hope you can come up with a manual for that. Three feet is a long ways.

yeah, it's a large distance. we don't have any clue where to look for a manual though.

You'll need to double check this, but I believe if he puts up wall protection that is non flammable w/ a one inch air space behind it, he can cut that distance in 1/2.

pen

he has a non-flamable wall thing up, and he has something called magic boards (I think, i don't know) but it's supposed to do the same thing, either as the air, and that got the ok, where the problem comes in is there is molding along the top of the wall that is near the pipe, and the window frames are a little close (but using the thing for 4 or so years, he has never seen a problem exist) they are also concerned about the floor, which the stove is on a stone slab, but the slab isn't extended far enough supposedly...

It's best to get it right. Just because it has worked ok for 4 years doesn't mean that problems don't exist.

true, but the only people who have said it was wrong so far was people who didn't know anything about wood stoves, or an inspector who he paid (I think he said 275$...) to inspect that also sold stoves. When he installed the wood stove, it was to the instructions that he had, not skimping corners, it's my understanding that it's new rules and regulations that are the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.