hot coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxed_out

Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2010
Central Pa
just wonderin if anyone shovels a large load of coals into their charcoal grill? I've been thinking thats what I need to do with the next load of coals. Maybe a couple of delmonicos or ribeyes? Any issues here?

maxed_out said:
Any issues here?

Meat is murder - tasty, tasty murder. :coolsmile:

Just make sure that the coals get safe passage out of the house. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with going all "Cave Man" on a hunk of critter.

Should work okay.

I'll bring the sides :)

Kingsford Charcoal brand brickets are made of wood so I would say if you're buring wood and you have red hot coals, you're 100% wood. Just be careful bringing them to the grill. If it's oak, all the better for the nice oak smokey flavor.

Or nestle a nice cast iron skillet down in those coals and do the dirty deed right there w/out transporting them. For me, a ribeye is best done in a hot skillet as the grill can flame up a bit much w/ their high fat content.

Otherwise, as others suggested, so long as you have a mode of transport that doesn't scatter hot coals across your home / furniture in the event the cat, a kids toy, etc gets under your feet and you go down, then go for it.

pen

That's the lump charcoal you buy in a bag, only it's already lit.

When I was burning the furnace in the basement, I would take a couple of shovels full and put them in a bucket of water for a couple of minutes until they were cool. Then I would spread them out on an old window screen for a week or two until they were good and dry, then store them in a plastic trash can. Oak seemed to work the best, leaving the biggest lumps. This was all done on the concrete basement floor. I don't think I would do it in my living room.

Next thing you know people will be putting racks in their wood stove and cook steak right in the stove over the hot coals!

Not a good idea by the way..just joking!

HotCoals said:
Next thing you know people will be putting racks in their wood stove and cook steak right in the stove over the hot coals!

Isn't there a stove that has a grill grate for the top of it. I have thought of trying to cook a steak in a skillet on top of the PE but the thought of getting grease on my stove annoys me so I will just stick with chilli and soups lol

Hi folks, well I put a pretty big load of hardwood coals from the stove (probably 4 days of 24-7 burning so the IR was due for a cleanout) into my weber charcoal grill outside and the Delmonicos were OUTSTANDING. Nice wood flavor. Rinsed down with a Malbec, something we always wanted toi try. the wine and the steaks were also on sale so it made for some really good eats.

certified106 said:
HotCoals said:

Isn't there a stove that has a grill grate for the top of it. I have thought of trying to cook a steak in a skillet on top of the PE but the thought of getting grease on my stove annoys me so I will just stick with chilli and soups lol
Harman has one. Also works with one of their anthracite coal stoves that's based on the same basic frame I think. I read cooking on anthracite tastes like cooking on gas (ie not much imparted flavor)

Status
Not open for further replies.