Hotblast problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
One of the blowers has started to vibrate pretty bad. It's always been a little noisy, but it's really started to shake the last couple days. I have to take the whole cold air side apart to get to them, so I'd like to know if there is anything I can do, or if I need to get a new one.
They are $150 from US Stove. Is there anyplce else to get one?

Thanks, Jeff

I would try oiling the bearings with some lite oil. Sometime these motors have a tube or a cap that you can drip oil into feeding the bearings. This might be a easy fix. Also if motor is bad you can usaually dissassemble the blower assembly and replace just the motor, you will have to check the specs on the motor plate and you could get one from Granger if you have one near by or a local electrical supply house.

same here oil it and tighten the bolts that hold it on.

I didn't see anyplace to drip oil. The problem seems a little to severe to be that easy to fix. I guess I'll have to tear it apart and see.

One other thing to look at is dust build up on the blower. If it is not squeaking you are probably out of balance and that will cause all kinds of shaking. If you cannot get at them where they are then the blower assembly has to be removed to facilitate cleaning the squirrel cages. A close up look at that time will tell you if you have oil ports or not. From the sound of things you are not at the point where you need to buy a new blower unless the shaking is caused by worn bearings in the motor. Then you just need to find another motor to replace the old one.

Might be an out of balance squirrel cage from the mfgr, or even a bent shaft on the motor... Try pulling it apart and see if you can (safely) power up the motor while holding it in your hands, with the cage on the shaft - if it shakes that is a definite problem - look for loose or bent bits on the cage, etc... You might also try talking to US Stove tech support, they may have some suggestions, and if it's a relatively new unit may be able to do something under warranty... (If it was noisy since new, I'd certainly fuss about it...) Also look for slop in the bearings, sticking or other failure signs, as suggested. However a properly balanced and assembled motor shouldn't vibrate - if it does, something is out kilter on it.

Gooserider

So I pulled it apart and replaced a bearing in the motor. That was much better, but I knew it would be temporary cause the squirrel cage was pretty wobbly. It's been getting pretty noisy again the last few days, so I called US Sove today. No fuss about it, they are sending me two new blowers, and shipping labels to send the old ones back.
Not overly impressed with the product, it's OK for what I spent on it. But I've got to give customer service an A+ for today.

I had my first blower go out 4 months in, then the 2nd went out at 10 months. Call customer service and they sent me a new one-no questions asked. I did have to send the old one and a copy of the receipt back in the same box with prepaid shipping labels.

Only 8 months later but dont overtighten the 6 bolts that hold the blower in.

I guess the older supply of blowers did not have 'oiler tubes' whereas the newer ones have a small 1/8" flared tube that allow you to put a few drops of 30weight oil in it each month of burning.

Hope you got her fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.