How am I doing so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
OK, I'll start with my background. We just built a 2000 sq/ft 2 storey house with basement(3 stories all together). The house is mainly heated by a Slant/Fin oil furnace/indriect water tank, baseboards and cast iron rads. I installed a Regency 2400 wood stove last year in the basement on a stainless steel lined masonery exterior chimney. We moved in February 28, 2008.

I just got our oil company to send me a history of the oil we got this year. I looked up when we started burning oil, and when we put the stove in, and averaged everything out. Before the stove, we were burning 15.25 litres of oil a day. After the stove was in , we were burning 9.5 litres a day. That’s a 40% savings,.

Now I will say that I was burning very green wood, cut only weeks before burning. And I know I was burning the stove hot just to get it to burn. This heating season should see even better results, with the seasoned wood I will be burning.

I decided to go with the wood stove, after reading about how inefficient wood furnaces can be. The wood stove also heats the house nicely, even on the top floor. But every now and then, I think man it would be nice to heat the hot water and also make use of the beautiful cast iron rads we had put in. Did I make the right choice?

Well if that stove heats 2000 you're tracking well. This year with seasoned firewood you should burn less oil ...oh and your glass will stay cleaner as well. Hope your planning ahead for seasoned wood. Good luck and thanks for the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.