How dirty is my flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the dirtiest) how would you guys rate my flue?

The 1st pic is the top portion of the flue, the 2nd pic is the middle portion, 3rd pic is the bottom portion.

Would you bother cleaning this before installing an insulated 6" flex liner? maybe just the top portion?

Attachments

• S5000716.jpg
    S5000716.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 345
  • S5000719.jpg
    S5000719.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 344
  • S5000718.jpg
    S5000718.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 356
Seems a little strange to me. Shouldn't the top have more than the bottom? Why is it grey?

gzecc said:
Seems a little strange to me. Shouldn't the top have more than the bottom? Why is it grey?

i think something was painted on the top portion which is flaking off. Also the flue isnt lined with anything...it looks like its just cinder blocks and mortar. the exterior of the chimney is all brick.

i think it's a code that you have to clean the chimney before the liner is installed. i could be wrong but i thought i read that in the code. that is really strange color for creosote. it looks like it would come off easy with a brush. also looks like you have gaps between the flue liner sections where the mortar is suppose to be. definitely give it the brush

Regardless of the code issues, you're going to end up knocking a lot of that down into your living space making a big mess. I'd hate to be the guy working on the install from the bottom.

Color is a little hard to tell - especially if the digital camera is trying to do auto white balance and auto brightness (which most point-n-shoot are automatically set up for) - it's working to make 'something' in the frame look white and approximately the right brightness.

But yes - that looks like light, flaky creosote - I'd scrub it good before putting in the liner just so it doesn't flake off as you do the install or fall down over time and build up on the block-off plate (if you install one), or on the top of the stove if you go without.

Give'er a scrubbin'. Then line that sucker. At some point in time the stuff that is left will end up at the bottom. Might as well get it done now.

heres my fireplace flue

Attachments

• chimenyfireplace 001.jpg
    chimenyfireplace 001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 235
  • chimenyfireplace 002.jpg
    chimenyfireplace 002.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 229
  • chimenyfireplace 003.jpg
    chimenyfireplace 003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 234
Ghettontheball said:
gzecc said:
grey looks like non-combustible flyash & id'd guess stove is burning clean [no brown creosote]. if stove works ok, i wouldnt add liner for fear of creating an overdrafting situation but then u'd have more to post when dealing with overdrafting,eh? flyash insulates the chmli. hard to believe theres no tile liner, looks like tile on top.

The stove isnt in yet, everything you see is from an open wood burning fireplace, hence the liner that will be installed. Im taking a break from extending the hearth while im typing this. should be done sometime after dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.