How Do I Cut Micore 300?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm going to cut a piece to use as a baffle for my insert.
I forget the shape of it, but there may be some angles, so I guess I'd be looking for a precision cut.
Can I do that with a utility knife? Too much (cancerous?) dust with a jig saw? Should I wet it down first?

Thanks.

velvetfoot said:
I'm going to cut a piece to use as a baffle for my insert.
I forget the shape of it, but there may be some angles, so I guess I'd be looking for a precision cut.
Can I do that with a utility knife? Too much (cancerous?) dust with a jig saw? Should I wet it down first?

Thanks.

Velvetfoot:

You can cut Micore 300 using sharp utility knife. Place the Micore on top of a sheet of plywood. Trace the outline with a framing square and permanent marker. Using the framing square or long level as a guide, cut the Micore. Wear gloves as Micore is made with silica - be careful not to breath any dust. You might want to ware a dust mask. Don't wet the Micore, that will only weaken it. Micore is somewhat fragile - much more so than a sheet of gyp board. Micore breaks easily. Like sheet-rock, you can snap-break it to complete a cut. However, if you want sharp edges, cut all the way through to the plywood.

By the way, Micore 300 seems to have an "up and down" side. Leastwise the surface with the USG Micore 300 logo imprinted seems to have a rougher surface than its other side. I used 1/2 inch Micore to extend my hearth, which was a bit shy of the 18 inches that I needed. I placed the imprinted side down, not that it matters.

Thank you for the tips. The material sounds just like the baffle it will be replacing.
I didn't realize you could all the way through with a knife.

where did you get that material? i need something for my insert to fill the gap around my chimney liner right above the insert, right now i am using a loos fitting piece is galvanized steel sheet metal. would like something thats easier to shape and provides good insulating properties, to keep that radiant heat inside the house vs going up the chimney around the liner.

Do they sell that stuff at homedepot or lowes?

jerseykat1 said:
where did you get that material? i need something for my insert to fill the gap around my chimney liner right above the insert, right now i am using a loos fitting piece is galvanized steel sheet metal. would like something thats easier to shape and provides good insulating properties, to keep that radiant heat inside the house vs going up the chimney around the liner.

Do they sell that stuff at homedepot or lowes?

Jerseykat1:

I don't think the big box stores carry Micore 300. They may be able to special order it for you but only in large quantities. I bought one 4x8 sheet for $33, tax included from Swanson Building Supply, Salt Lake City Utah. But that's probably too far a drive for you. Ha! Ha! (About 400 miles round-trip for me.)

You might try a local wood stove shop and see if they have any. Contact local building supply outlets and see if they can get a sheet for you. Go to the US Gypsum web site, search for Mircore 300 and search for distributors in your or adjacent area codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.