How do I even approach this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never give up! ::-)
never-give-up-frog.jpg

thornless Honey Locust,will be milled in 2"-3" thick slabs for coffee tables before long.
Wish I lived closer.

The picture below is the largest round out of all if them. 1/2 are around 2.5 ft diameter and the other 1/2 are around 3ft diameter. The maple is 15 minutes away and free (can't imagine why?!) How will my huskee 22 ton do on this, or dont even waste my time. There is a total of 6 cords for the taking.

That huskee splitter will just laugh at those rounds! You won't laugh getting them to the splitter though. This is one job for sure that is in need of a cant hook. A big husky guy would help a lot too...

The picture below is the largest round out of all if them. 1/2 are around 2.5 ft diameter and the other 1/2 are around 3ft diameter. The maple is 15 minutes away and free (can't imagine why?!) How will my huskee 22 ton do on this, or dont even waste my time. There is a total of 6 cords for the taking.
I betcha that'll split pretty easy. Just work from the outside in. Since I blew my splitter up it's been all hand splitting for me too and so, thats what I do, work from the outside in.
Good luck wellseasoned!!!
chuck

Dennis, do you use a cant hook to move big rounds to the splitter and position them

If it requires the cant hook, it is always there handy. It goes with me to the woods almost every time too. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. I'd surely hate to be without it.

My neighbor had rounds like this dropped off at his house by a tree service. I noodled ( cut through them on edge ) with my MS260pro into 6 pieces he could handle lifting them to the craddle. Another thing that helped us lately with larger rounds is to put them on the cradle crossway or laying flat and not on edge, especially maple and ash pops them in half real easy. Before adding a hydraulic log lift to our Speeco, I would lean an 8' ladder in the I beam of the cradle and roll the lumps up the rungs, works ok but still some grunting involved.

The other half I found out is sycamore. How is burning that. I heard its a light wood, and burns somewhat fast.

Maul, wedge, sledge. Looks like they'll bust up pretty easy. The bigger rounds, the more firewood! Even if one round takes 20 minutes, you have as much wood as 20 minutes worth of small rounds.

Reactions: Realstone
Sycamore is a good burning wood i cut some last December burning some this fall it burn good not as others but ok.

The other half I found out is sycamore. How is burning that. I heard its a light wood, and burns somewhat fast.

Good stuff but a trial to split most times.

Status
Not open for further replies.