How do I size a flat plat exchanger to heat DHW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
How do I pick which size flat-plate exchanger I need to add to my 50 Gallon electric hot water tank to heat it from my tarm. I am going to run it as a seperate zone, with a potable pump to circulate the DHW. I assume that too big is better than too small, but I have no idea how to pick other than just oversizing it, which gets expensive.

I don't necessarily need a formula with the exact calculation, I'd be happy with a "I used a xxx and it worked for me"....

I have the same question but in my case I need to heat two 80 gallon electric hot water heaters that are currently set up for off-peak electric.

Can you explain your system a bit more?

Plate HXs need a pump on either side to transfer heat. What is the temperature of the hot side, what pump is going to get the water there, and for how long will it turn on? Ditto for the cold side- it sounds like you will have drinking water circulated through the cold side via a potable circulator, which will work great. How fast do you want your heater to heat up? I have been looking into HXs for the lasts few weeks intensively, so I think I can answer your question if you give me a bit more info.

Andrew

emesine said:
Can you explain your system a bit more?

Plate HXs need a pump on either side to transfer heat. What is the temperature of the hot side, what pump is going to get the water there, and for how long will it turn on? Ditto for the cold side- it sounds like you will have drinking water circulated through the cold side via a potable circulator, which will work great. How fast do you want your heater to heat up? I have been looking into HXs for the lasts few weeks intensively, so I think I can answer your question if you give me a bit more info.

Andrew

Guess I want it to heat up at least as fast, and hopefully faster than, the existing 50G 4500W electric tank does it. All the regular temps, well water coming in at whatever well water is, boiler water is going to anywhere from 160->200 degree depending on where I am in the burn cycle. I plan on superheating the 50G tank and using a tempering valve to stretch out the hot water; plenty of extra BTU's coming out of my Tarm.

The 50G electric marginally gives enough hot water for the family, so rough calcs I'd want it to go from cold to hot 50% faster than the electric does, if it could produce twice as much hot water, all the better. Not sure how to be more specific than that...is that enough info to make a reasonable estimate?

Is there a simple calc to get me from 4500Ws to the equivalent BTUs?

4500 watts X 3.4 = 15,300 BTU.

That will be very easy to obtain with a flat plate HX. You will need a pump or some way of getting hot water out of your boiler loop and into your HX.... Let's say you use a taco 003 which will give you about 3 gpm at 3 feet of head...

According to www.flatplateselect.com you will need a 5 X 12 inch by 10 plate HX. You will get 60,000 BTU transfer with the following parameters

Hot side
3 gpm
in 180
out 140

Cold side
2 gpm
in 100
out 150

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Thanks - I'm just about to install one, too. Perfect timing for this thread!

Is there a simple calc to get me from 4500Ws to the equivalent BTUs?

The unit you convert to BTUs is watt-hours.

1000 watts for one hour = 1000 watt-hours, or more commonly 1 kilowatt-hour.

1kilowatt-hour = 3413 BTUs

4500 watt-hours = 4.5 KWH X 3413 =15358 BTUs

Don't sweat the exact number. Like emesine says, easier to think 15,300

MNBobcat said:
I have the same question but in my case I need to heat two 80 gallon electric hot water heaters that are currently set up for off-peak electric.
for that kind of install I would go with a sidearm HX, a FP would require a pump to circulate the water through the water heaters, a sidearm set up would use normal convection to do the work for no extra electric. I pre-heat the supply to my tankless hot water heater using a shell HX. I made an 8' long shell HX out of copper pipe 3/4" for the water supply and 1 1/4" for the shell that holds my boiler loop water. The heated water goes to a mixing valve and then to the water heater.
for your set up you should put a side arm HX on each water heater and a mixing valve on the outlet so you don't scald anyone, save the electric for summer.

rowerwet said:
MNBobcat said:
for that kind of install I would go with a sidearm HX, a FP would require a pump to circulate the water through the water heaters, a sidearm set up would use normal convection to do the work for no extra electric. I pre-heat the supply to my tankless hot water heater using a shell HX. I made an 8' long shell HX out of copper pipe 3/4" for the water supply and 1 1/4" for the shell that holds my boiler loop water. The heated water goes to a mixing valve and then to the water heater.
for your set up you should put a side arm HX on each water heater and a mixing valve on the outlet so you don't scald anyone, save the electric for summer.

I'm sorry, I just now found your post. For some reason I'm not getting all of my emails alerting me to replies.

With my OWB I can plumb it two ways. I can either run it in series where the water is pumped from the boiler to the DHW HX and then to the furnace HX and back to the boiler, or I can go from the OWB to a manifold and then take whatever runs I need off of the manifold. I'm thinking of going with the latter. In which case I would have a pump for the DHW. I wonder if there isn't some way to put a tem sensor on the hot water heaters which would cause the pump to turn on as needed?

My set up uses a plate heat exchanger. The OWB circ. pump is always running so that side of exchanger is always hot. I put a small circ. pump on the domestic side to recirculate water from farthest point of DHW system back to my propane HW heater. It goes through the heat exchanger on its way back to tank. I even have the cold water make up going through heat exchanger and than into tank. I put a aquastat with a capillary tube down into my DHW tank. I took the anode out and used that opening for a well I made out of copper. I screwed in down into tank and inserted aquastat. I never run out of hot water. I could leave it running all day and it would be hot. It is nice though to know the aquastat is shutting down circ. pump when up to temp. Also it keeps my insulated pipes hot so I don’t have to wait for hot water at the farthest bathroom. To be fool proof I should add another aquastat to the return line from the farthest point as the lines in crawl space will cool faster than the tank. Will have to add check valves to your system to keep everything going in the right direction.

My plate exchanger is 50,000 btu/hr. and here are specs for it. HW in 180 out 160 at 5gpm. Domestic in at 40 out at 140 1 gpm.

MNBobcat said:
rowerwet said:
MNBobcat said:

I'm sorry, I just now found your post. For some reason I'm not getting all of my emails alerting me to replies.

With my OWB I can plumb it two ways. I can either run it in series where the water is pumped from the boiler to the DHW HX and then to the furnace HX and back to the boiler, or I can go from the OWB to a manifold and then take whatever runs I need off of the manifold. I'm thinking of going with the latter. In which case I would have a pump for the DHW. I wonder if there isn't some way to put a tem sensor on the hot water heaters which would cause the pump to turn on as needed?
if you want to go that route, you need an aquastat in the hot water tank, set it to the top temp you want in the tank, If you want to go to the trouble and expense. Either way you will save electric as a motor is cheaper to run than a heating element.
I always go for simplest, a side arm downstream from your boiler using convection, it doesn't get simpler than that. (I work on airplanes for a living and deal with unneeded complexity breaking down all the time)

MrEd, try this link, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40632/ for answers to a similar question I asked a few months ago here. I ordered a Bell and Gossett 125,000 BTU 20 plate low pressure flat plate BPX HX from PexSupply.com a few days ago for this same purpose (cost $183). I also acquired a low flow Laing recirculation pump, model SM-303-BTW, to go with it on the DHW side from BuyPlumbing.net (cost $145). There are links on the bottom of the PexSupply ad for the for the B&G flat plate hx that will take you to sizing, (btu, pressure drop and gpm) tables. I hope the components do the trick with my new Tarm, install starting soon. Good luck.

Mike

MNBobcat said:
rowerwet said:
MNBobcat said:

If your only loads are the DHW and furnace HX's what I would consider doing is using a sidearm for the DHW and putting the two in series, with the DHW HX first, and put a ZV controlled bypass loop around the DHW HX... If the house calls for heat, water goes through the sidearm and warms the DHW tank, unless the tank is hot, in which case it opens the ZV and the house gets the heat direct... This gets rid of a pump, which reduces operating costs, and lets you use a cheap sidearm instead of an expensive flat plate... It also gets rid of the manifold. One could also do the manifold w/ two zones on it, one for the house and one for the DHW, each with a zone valve, but you'd probably find the DHW loop had so much less flow resistance that when it opened the house HX wouldn't get any flow....

IMHO while there are things that FP HX's are good for, and there aren't good substitutes, I don't really like them - they are expensive, have high head resistance (leading to higher operating costs) and are prone to clogging and other failures (especially on an open system) I think it is best to use them as a only last resort if there aren't any other more efficient alternatives.

Gooserider

Gooserider, my understanding is there is a slow turnaround time for reheating your DHW with a sidearm which is not acceptable for all applications. There are a couple of threads on how to keep them clean in a fairly painless fashion. If I remember, you flush them with vinegar? every so often, and HR recommended some fittings recently so you can do this without removing the flat plate from the piping. I think when you want to take a shower or run the dishwasher the hot water needs to be there in a timely fashion. On the other hand I don't know how long it would take a sidearm to reheat the DHW. I went with the added expense of a flat plate and we'll see what happens once our install is done. I thought of it as an investment, like the rest of the system.

Mike

even simpler connection for a flat plate HX, shark bites and pex. the whole thing comes off in 30 seconds.

dogwood said:
Gooserider, my understanding is there is a slow turnaround time for reheating your DHW with a sidearm which is not acceptable for all applications. There are a couple of threads on how to keep them clean in a fairly painless fashion. If I remember, you flush them with vinegar? every so often, and HR recommended some fittings recently so you can do this without removing the flat plate from the piping. I think when you want to take a shower or run the dishwasher the hot water needs to be there in a timely fashion. On the other hand I don't know how long it would take a sidearm to reheat the DHW. I went with the added expense of a flat plate and we'll see what happens once our install is done. I thought of it as an investment, like the rest of the system.

Mike

You are right Mike, a convection driven sidearm is not going to be as fast as a pumped HX at recovery, or initial heating of a cold tank. But I feel that if one does appropriate sizing of the DHW tank, and plumbs the sidearm so that it sees a relatively steady flow of heat, then the sidearm should be able to keep up with recovery as the hot water as used... It probably does take a bit more attention to planning, and sizing to fit the loads, but should be doable in most cases. I just don't like the added expense of purchasing and running another pump if it can be avoided...

There are also situations where a flat-plate IS the right answer, and if it is, I would use one without hesitation. I just want to be sure about the answer, and possibly see if I can change it by asking a different question.

Gooserider

Gooserider, If you take a shower, run the dishwasher, and then are out of hot water when your wife decides to bathe, it is a not a trivial problem. The extra expense to avoid this is a trivial expense in comparison. My wife has shown remarkable forbearance in light of the massive expenses so far acquiring the boiler and parts. I would like to have the end result of our install to be a fully functional system with both on-demand heat and hot water. Waiting around a few hours for the water to heat up is not going to make the grade hereabouts. Other's situations may differ.

On another note, I also went for a twenty rather than ten plate to allow for lower than optimum supply input temps and to quicken the heat exchange time. Somebody recommended the twenty plate in a previous thread, if I recall, but thought a thirty plate would be overkill.

Mike

Waiting around a few hours for the water to heat up is not going to make the grade hereabouts. Other’s situations may differ.

That was my thinking...a passive sidearm might work for some, but with a family of 6, and soon to be 4 teenagers (and already owning a potable pump and electric DHW tank), the pump powered, flate plate heat exchanger ($129) seemed like the safer, cheaper bet for me.

Not telling anyone how they must do stuff... I agree with the idea that running out of hot water isn't acceptable, but I don't agree that a properly configured sidearm or equivalent non-plate / non added pump setup would be unable to handle the makeup load... However each person needs to make their own choices about that sort of thing.

Gooserider

Mr. Ed, maybe someone with a bigger family than mine (two only) could chime in a let you know how many plates and what dimensions your flat plate should have to service that big a family effeciently. I'm thinking a ten plate may not be enough as previously suggested, but I am a rank amateur at this and have relied on the advice of others in previous threads in planning and making my calculations prior to purchase and pending installation. And I haven't a clue how fast a properly sized sidearm would replenish your tank.

Mike

I'm ready to plumb my plate heat exchanger for my DHW

I have two 80 gallon electric hot water heaters. On HWH1 my cold supply comes into the cold inlet on HWH1. Then the hot outlet on HWH1 goes into the cold inlet on HWH2. The hot outlet on HWH2 goes to the faucets, showers, etc. I guess the concept is that the hot water sitting on the top of HWH1 will thermosiphon into HWH2.

I will be running a pump to push hot water from the plate exchanger into the hot water heaters. Where should I tie into the hot water heater(s)? Should I pump hot water from the plate HX into the bottom drain on HWH1 and then hook the return into the bottom drain on HWH2? Where would I mount the aquastat to control the pump?

The biggest mistake when sizing HXers for DHW is not accounting for incoming water temperatures. In cold climates incoming water, in the winter months, can be in the mid 30's. So you are looking at a 110 Δ T to provide 140 °F DHW.

In warm climates the incoming water will be much warmer, 50 °F is typical where I live from wells or city supplied. Phoenix has an average water temperature of 78 °F.

Many of the new mod con boilers has flat plate DHW options. They can produce endless, DHW at a certain temperature rise and gpm flow rate. It's limited by the BTU size of the boiler. The plate HX is sized to that output to provide the DHW. If that is the customers desire, endless DHW then a HX with a pumped flow on the boiler side would more than likely win the race over a typical thermo siphon exchanger.

DHW can be a tricky load to design to. Unless a customer can tell you EXACTLY how much and how fast then it's a guess based on "averages" Like the industry suggested 20 gallons per per person per day at a 90 degree rise.

Here is a simple formula to determine the BTU needed dhw= 8.33 (gallons) (Th-Tc) 8.33 X 60 gallons from 50- 140 °F would require 44,982 BTUs and enough heat exchanger to transfer that amount in the time period you desire.

In my years in the trade I have never had a customer tell me I provided too much DHW, but I have under estimated a handfull and had to go back and upsize storage and horsepower.

hr

MNBobcat, I've been trying to find a definitive answer on where to locate the aquastat to control the circ pump for my DHW too. If I rememeber correctly the closest answer I could find was in a previous thread where someone mentioned that manufacturers usually place their controls near the bottom of the DHW tank. That's where they are on mine now, prior to re-plumbing. So I am going to place my aquastat near the drain port on the bottom of the tank. I am also going to put my circ pump next to it and pump the heated water upwards through the flat plate into the top of the tank, mimicking the direction of flow a sidearm convection system would have. The boiler water will flow in the opposite direction from top to bottom through the flat plate to mimic the counterflow setup on my w/a hx. That's the best I could figure. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in and give you a more definitive answer.

Another aspect of aquastat usage I have yet to figure out is what is the appropriate temperature differential setting to have on the aquastat for the DHW. Maybe someone can answer you question and mine so neither of us mess this up. I'll try to find the previous thread for you on the aquastat placement. I looked at again just last week while trying to figure this out.

Here's that thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40993/. It was HR who said to locate it toward the bottom third of the tank.

Mike

Mike,

I've read every post on here that I could find that pertained to hot water heaters. Some said that its important to have stratified water with the hot water on top and the cold on bottom and that the heater is more efficient that way.

The problem I'm having is I can't find anyone here or anywhere on the Internet who has connected a flat plate HX to a pair of formerly off-peak electric hot water heaters.

In my case, I'll be pumping the hot water from the flat plate HX into one of my hot water heaters. Presumably, the hot water in the first hot water heater tank will be forced into the second hot water heater tank by the pump. I'll then be pulling water out of the second hot water heater (return line) back into the HX and pushing the heated water back into the first tank. Instead of having stratification, both of my tanks should be at full temp from top to bottom. I'll have 160 gallons of hot water which I'll heat to at least 140 degrees. I'll put a mixing valve on the outlet of the second tank.

What I'm trying to figure out is where to connect the supply line, from the pump, into the first tank and where to connect the return line to the second tank? Should both connections be made to the drain valves on each tank?

dogwood said:
So I am going to place my aquastat near the drain port on the bottom of the tank. Mike

How will you place the aquastat? Is there a hole in the tank in that location?

MNBobcat, I am going to tee off a place for the aquastat as close to the drain pipe port as possible, hoping that is close enough to get a decent temp read of the bottom of the tank, and insulate that fitting to prevent getting a read on temps outside the tank. Don't have another port into the tank to utilize. The other thing I considered was as someone else suggested, to cut a hole in the outside covering of the tank and place a temp sensor directly on the tank inside and then reinsulate and re-cover that hole. I think that person called it a snap disk sensor in the thread I referenced, and provided the link to above.

I don't know the answer for your other question but you might try posting it on Dan Holohan's site in "The Wall" section. I managed to get an answer there once to a question I couldn't get or find an answer to elsewhere. It's address is http://www.heatinghelp.com/Forum

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.