how do u clean ur saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
I wanna clean my saw up...what can I use on it?.. wanna clean all the saw dust out of the screw holes...etc..

steeltowninwv said:
I wanna clean my saw up...what can I use on it?.. wanna clean all the saw dust out of the screw holes...etc..

Compressed air. Even pre-canned stuff works ok. A little general purpose cleaner (ie. Simple Green) works to degrease and remove light stains too.

Daily cleaning? Compressed air, old toothbrush, rag/paper towel.

Some folks even put parts in the dishwasher when the wife is gone for the day. ;-)

Compressed air here as well. Crank it all the way up to 150 psi and wear eye protection. Get in around the cooling fins and recoil slots, two spots where buildup can cause overheating.

TreePointer said:

Some folks even put parts in the dishwasher when the wife is gone for the day. ;-)

Yep yep, Dishwasher works great. Clean it mean green first. Ultra sonic cleaner is the way to go!

zapny said:
steeltowninwv said:

We purchased this last year, works great on everything.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C..._0__s?Ntt=pancake+air+compressor+&facetInfo;=

zap

I got this last year too! ;-)
http://www.whirlpool.com/-[DU1055XTVS]-1001253/DU1055XTVS/

Are you taking the plastic top off from time to time making sure those fins are clean?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
steeltowninwv said:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C..._0__s?Ntt=pancake+air+compressor+&facetInfo;=

zap

Are you taking the plastic top off from time to time making sure those fins are clean?

Not sure what your talking about. Are you talking about the plastic top right behind the chain brake?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
steeltowninwv said:

zap

Not sure what your talking about. Are you talking about the plastic top right behind the chain brake?

zap

The part that screws into the head. There is a funny looking screw hole on top. Just unscrew it and the whole plastic part comes off. Milling there is very fine dust and good to clean those fins thats how it cools its self. Gives you a good look at them.

Milling in the rain can cause it to stick.

[http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C..._0__s?Ntt=pancake+air+compressor+&facetInfo;=

Are you taking the plastic top off from time to time making sure those fins are clean?[/quote]

The part that screws into the head. There is a funny looking screw hole on top. Just unscrew it and the whole plastic part comes off. Milling there is very fine dust and good to clean those fins thats how it cools its self. Gives you a good look at them.

I'll check it later today, thanks. Here is a picture I pulled off the net, I take the air compressor to the fins from the side.

zap

Milling in the rain can cause it to stick.[/quote]

Attachments

• saw2-350x220.jpg
    saw2-350x220.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 350
zapny said:
[http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C..._0__s?Ntt=pancake+air+compressor+&facetInfo;=

I'll check it later today, thanks. Here is a picture I pulled off the net, I take the air compressor to the fins from the side.

zap

Milling in the rain can cause it to stick.[/quote][/quote]

Yep yep....Now pull the orange plastic off as well flat head screw driver....(the only orange part in your pic)

smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

Yep yep, Dishwasher works great. Clean it mean green first. Ultra sonic cleaner is the way to go!

Bathtub works fine too. Some moisturizing soap helps or maybe shampoo.

All joking aside, the saw needs some cleaning every time you use it.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

Bathtub works fine too. Some moisturizing soap helps or maybe shampoo.

All joking aside, the saw needs some cleaning every time you use it.

lol thats kinda what I do before it hits the dishwasher, but its pretty clean even before going in the tub or sink! :lol:

Air compressor. Clean out the bar groove, the oiling channels, and all stuff from the saw. The only thing that remains is the oil stains from certain tree species like red alder and a bit of browning near the exhaust outlet.

Keep'em clean!

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 337
  • miss thing.jpg
    miss thing.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 326
  • caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 323
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 334
  • baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 327
I like to carry a paintbrush with me and use it each time I fill up w/ fuel and oil to keep junk from getting into the tanks and clean the housing off when I change chains.

pen

Be sure the gas cap is on tight before you put the saw in the dishwasher... :)

DanCorcoran said:
Be sure the gas cap is on tight before you put the saw in the dishwasher... :)

:lol: Thats funny!

smokinjay said:
Keep'em clean!

Jay gives his a sponge-bath before he tucks them in at night. J/K

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
Keep'em clean!

There is some truth into that as well! ;-) 500.00 dishwaser would even come close to buying a 460. :cheese:

I can see the picture tonight of Smokin tucking them in. :zip:

zap

zapny said:
I can see the picture tonight of Smokin tucking them in. :zip:

zap

Some truth in that as well! lol I have heard the comment more than once that you love the saws more than anything..... ;-)

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
Keep'em clean!

There is some truth into that as well! ;-) 500.00 dishwaser would even come close to buying a 460. :cheese:

But a 460 is cheaper than a divorce!!!

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
Keep'em clean!

Not married! :lol:

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
Keep'em clean!

Not married! :lol:

I wonder how many 460's I could buy for half my stuff? Probably at least 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.