How do you guys get "runaway" stoves? Max heat NOT at max air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firefighterjake said:
avc8130 said:
I think I am noticing with my Jotul Oslo that max stove top temps do NOT occur when the air is opened all of the way. Is this normal?

I seem to be able to hit a max temp with the damper all of the way open, and then if I knock it closed about 1/4 of the way temps will usually rise another ~50 degrees at the stove top.

ac

You would be correct . . . with the air control open all the way you will get lots of flames, but the majority of the heat is being sent up your stack . . . what you want to do is bring the stove up to temp and then start cutting back on the air which you are doing . . . this will result in a secondary burn and the stove will start to warm up. This is how you want to run your stove . . . since the goal is to heat your house . . . not the outdoors.

Many newbies have a common misconception that more air = more heat and less air = less heat . . . however running a woodstove is not like driving a car in the way you want to go faster you "open up" the throttle . . . it's actually just the opposite . . . the key however is to get things warmed up and brought up to temp first and then start slowly dialing things down.

Sounds like you're doing things right . . . secondary burns will almost always result in more heat in the stove and in the home . . . in my own case with good wood and my chimney . . . I can dial things down to the quarter mark . . . and even all the way "closed."

+1 There ya go.

avc8130 said:
Should I be adjusting by flue temp or stove top temp? Maybe THAT is part of my procedure that needs to change. I have been only monitoring stove top temp because that is what the manual said.

Should I be adjusting the air to keep the flue temp in a "sweet zone"? What zone would that be? 300-500?
ac

I think you can go either way . . . I know I tend to rely more on my flue temp more (with the probe thermometer for my double wall pipe) . . . I tend to start dialing back the air by using the temps I get from that thermometer . . . but I also check the stove top thermometer to see how warm the stove is getting as well . . . and to be sure the stove is in the 400-600 degree F temp zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.