How Does YOUR Harman Work In Room Temp Manual?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
I have to admit that I have not used my Harman extensively in any other mode than Room / Auto for the 8 years I have had it.

Having recently installed a brand new Platinum control board I decided I would explore the other modes. According to what I read in the Harman manual, Room / Manual should work the same as Room / Auto with the exception of the fire that will bank down but never quite go out. This supposedly preserves the igniter.

What I seem to be getting is a Stove Temp type function however. In other words, in Room / Manual the distribution blower speed does not vary at all, staying on if I have the temperature dial set above 4 and staying off if I have it set below 4, even when the fire cranks up, I assume to try and maintain room temperature.

Am I misunderstanding how Room / Manual works? As an aside, I called Harman who were absolutely no help at all. I have a call in to thé board vendor. Hopefully they will be able to clarify things but I'm beginning to wonder. In any case, how does your Harman ACTUALLY work in Room/ Manual mode?

Last edited:
I run mine in room/manual nearly all the time. The distribution blower changes speed automatically depending on the need for heat in the room. I keep the temp set at 70-72 and the distribution fan speed set at mid range. My control board is original to the stove manufactured in 2006.

I run mine in room/manual nearly all the time. The distribution blower changes speed automatically depending on the need for heat in the room. I keep the temp set at 70-72 and the distribution fan speed set at mid range. My control board is original to the stove manufactured in 2006.

Which is how I assume mine should work but it apparently doesn't. Hmmmmm.

As Jackman but when the temperature is reached the fan stops
Stove P68 2012

I have to admit that I have not used my Harman extensively in any other mode than Room / Auto for the 8 years I have had it.

Having recently installed a brand new Platinum control board I decided I would explore the other modes. According to what I read in the Harman manual, Room / Manual should work the same as Room / Auto with the exception of the fire that will bank down but never quite go out. This supposedly preserves the igniter.

What I seem to be getting is a Stove Temp type function however. In other words, in Room / Manual the distribution blower speed does not vary at all, staying on if I have the temperature dial set above 4 and staying off if I have it set below 4, even when the fire cranks up, I assume to try and maintain room temperature.

Am I misunderstanding how Room / Manual works? As an aside, I called Harman who were absolutely no help at all. I have a call in to thé board vendor. Hopefully they will be able to clarify things but I'm beginning to wonder. In any case, how does your Harman ACTUALLY work in Room/ Manual mode?

I just tried Room Temp/Manual this year. I find that the distro blower will fluctuate and turn off at times. The other thing I noticed is the pellets last longer as the stove seems to settle into a steady flame and heat output lie stove temp mode rather than shutting down and starting up again as the room temperature is reached. I guess the only thing entirely different for sure is the igniter isn't cycling.

Last edited:
I just tried Room Temp/Manual this year. I find that the distro blower will fluctuate and turn off at times. The other think I noticed is the pellets last longer as the stove seems to settle into a steady flame and heat output lie stove temp mode rather than shutting down and starting up again as the room temperature is reached. I guess the only thing entirely different for sure is the igniter isn't cycling.
My p61 built in 2013 works pretty much as you describe. If it stays on a high burn long enough then eventually the distribution fan will go on high. How long pellets last in this mode ( RoomManual and even Stove manual) I've found to be a function of pellet grade and of course actual setting. Although in Room mode it also depends on weather. Pellet consumption is a very difficult category to follow accurately anyway, IMO. Especially so in these older looser houses like I live in.

Reactions: Peterfield
My p61 built in 2013 works pretty much as you describe. If it stays on a high burn long enough then eventually the distribution fan will go on high. How long pellets last in this mode ( RoomManual and even Stove manual) I've found to be a function of pellet grade and of course actual setting. Although in Room mode it also depends on weather. Pellet consumption is a very difficult category to follow accurately anyway, IMO. Especially so in these older looser houses like I live in.

Not really concerned with pellet consumption. Operation is what I'm trying to clarify.

Not really concerned with pellet consumption. Operation is what I'm trying to clarify.
Well on long low burns my stoves fan may shut down as well in Room Auto when set around 70 deg or so. I assume it's a function of maintenance burn. The room probe is not calling for heat so no distribution of heat . I never had the early board so wouldn't know the difference. However with the P61 and it's steel case it does radiate some heat and in mild weather this may be enough to sort of heat the house.

Reactions: F4jock and bags
2014 P68 here. I have experienced the fan fluctuating and shutting off too but that is when the temp dial is set at 4 to 4.5 or below on my stove. If the temp dial is set at 4.5 to 5 or above the distribution blowers never fluctuates nor shuts off which is what I like and want so I set it accordingly.

I have pretty much so maintained theses settings in shoulder seasons and dead of the winter. The only adjustment I make is with the feed. It has been on less than one thus far with only a couple of exceptions of cold nights down in the 20's. Once the consistently cold, cold temps hang on I will usually bump my feed up and temps depend on where. Anywhere from 2 to 4 but I never run more than feed rate 4. I have messing around but the heat gets unbearably hot even in brutally cold weather in the teens and 0.

So I really do not fiddle with knobs and adjustments. I have figured out what works here and no need to play around any longer like the beginning of last year. I highly recommend the auto, set it and forget it mode for new owners but one must experiment also and educate themselves on how your Harman works. I'll put it this way. If different results were not obtainable then these optional modes and adjustments would not exist. The knobs and modes are there for a reason.

If I would have known these things last year I know my pellet usage would have been slimmed up a lot. I have used many less bags thus far this season for two reasons. 1). Temps have been milder. 2). I have found a more economical mode and settings that do use less and achieves the same temps desired. Last winter once I figured everything out this is how I ran and I can give a rats ass about igniter wear and tear. That is not why I run manual igniter at all.

Knob twisting and switch flipping chit gets confusing and really is unnecessary to a large degree. But the one size fits all set it and forget it preached throughout the Harman community is not 100% correct either. It is correct that the stove will run its self and maintain set temp all alone but tell me why that one size fits all is the only way to fly and best for everyone.

Reactions: F4jock
Thing is that, if I don't touch a thing, the room temp drops as well as the fan not functioning.

2014 P68 here. I have experienced the fan fluctuating and shutting off too but that is when the temp dial is set at 4 to 4.5 or below on my stove. If the temp dial is set at 4.5 to 5 or above the distribution blowers never fluctuates nor shuts off which is what I like and want so I set it accordingly.

I have pretty much so maintained theses settings in shoulder seasons and dead of the winter. The only adjustment I make is with the feed. It has been on less than one thus far with only a couple of exceptions of cold nights down in the 20's. Once the consistently cold, cold temps hang on I will usually bump my feed up and temps depend on where. Anywhere from 2 to 4 but I never run more than feed rate 4. I have messing around but the heat gets unbearably hot even in brutally cold weather in the teens and 0.

So I really do not fiddle with knobs and adjustments. I have figured out what works here and no need to play around any longer like the beginning of last year. I highly recommend the auto, set it and forget it mode for new owners but one must experiment also and educate themselves on how your Harman works. I'll put it this way. If different results were not obtainable then these optional modes and adjustments would not exist. The knobs and modes are there for a reason.

If I would have known these things last year I know my pellet usage would have been slimmed up a lot. I have used many less bags thus far this season for two reasons. 1). Temps have been milder. 2). I have found a more economical mode and settings that do use less and achieves the same temps desired. Last winter once I figured everything out this is how I ran and I can give a rats ass about igniter wear and tear. That is not why I run manual igniter at all.

Knob twisting and switch flipping chit gets confusing and really is unnecessary to a large degree. But the one size fits all set it and forget it preached throughout the Harman community is not 100% correct either. It is correct that the stove will run its self and maintain set temp all alone but tell me why that one size fits all is the only way to fly and best for everyone.

If I don't touch anything the room temp drops. If I raise the setpoint I fry. Just trying to determine if the board is working properly.

Thing is that, if I don't touch a thing, the room temp drops as well as the fan not functioning.
This could have to do with room probe placement.

Reactions: jackman
Possibly. One of the things I need to check but presently I'm taking temp measurements at the probe to see how they correlate with the dial and how they relate to actual temp. On Room / Auto it works fine, maintaining a two degree delta at most.

EDIT: Board vendor thinks the same way so gonna play a bit.

Last edited:
Possibly. One of the things I need to check but presently I'm taking temp measurements at the probe to see how they correlate with the dial and how they relate to actual temp. On Room / Auto it works fine, maintaining a two degree delta at most.
Yes, however that convection fan shutting down can be an effect changer . And I've found it a bit odd as to how that may be so at times. Of course in this house outdoor wind direction has a huge effect on how the place heats from the pin point source of a stove. Also solar heat which right now is minimal. This place is easier to heat in late Feb as the sun has taken a new stance and yet invariably it's colder out then than now (I know off topic).

Another possibility is your pot switches being cranky. If you think about it 8 years and set the same. Not sure but a possibility. Similar to a car sitting in the garage for years unmoved. I know my 68 had to get dialed in with settings to get results I liked. If the knobs are not about exactly where I need them then it gives different output. Another words I think they can be somewhat cantankerous and finicky. Definitely a cheap weakness in Harmans IMHO. The pots just barely out rank the useless fire box tool some caveman designed.

I feel for the cash lay out Harman could improve their manuals, pot switches, and fire box tool. Other than these easy to nit pick items they have it figured out. Bring your stove to orgasm is your problem buddy. LOL!

Hell Bags it's a brand new board!

Yeah. The manual kinda sucks. Maybe I oghtta rewrite it for them. :p

Gonna play with temp probe location a bit.

Yes, however that convection fan shutting down can be an effect changer . And I've found it a bit odd as to how that may be so at times. Of course in this house outdoor wind direction has a huge effect on how the place heats from the pin point source of a stove. Also solar heat which right now is minimal. This place is easier to heat in late Feb as the sun has taken a new stance and yet invariably it's colder out then than now (I know off topic).

I'm lucky in that we get South-facing sun in the morning. Gonna mess with temp probe placement. Might be too close to the stove eve though it works fine in Room / Auto.

What I'm shooting for is a One-Size-Fits-All made of operation whereby I can shift modes w/o tweaking anything else.

I'm lucky in that we get South-facing sun in the morning. Gonna mess with temp probe placement. Might be too close to the stove eve though it works fine in Room / Auto.

What I'm shooting for is a One-Size-Fits-All made of operation whereby I can shift modes w/o tweaking anything else.
For me and if I don't care about pellet consumption that mode would be Room Auto. And I think I can tweak it even a bit more by moving my room probe into my dining room. I have the wire and could run a temp line till this knee lets me move more freely but hasn't happened yet LOL !

For me and if I don't care about pellet consumption that mode would be Room Auto. And I think I can tweak it even a bit more by moving my room probe into my dining room. I have the wire and could run a temp line till this knee lets me move more freely but hasn't happened yet LOL !

Let me clarify that a bit. What I mean is that I want to be able to switch operating modes w/o tweaking any other settings. I agree that Room / Auto is the best mode of operation but as I have never messed with others I thought I'd see what they were like.

Let me clarify that a bit. What I mean is that I want to be able to switch operating modes w/o tweaking any other settings. I agree that Room / Auto is the best mode of operation but as I have never messed with others I thought I'd see what they were like.
The switch from RA to RM may well become more seamless once you find a mutually comfortable spot for that room probe. Stove Temp modes are another whole animal that you might not have interest in but is fun to play with .

Reactions: bags
OK. Moved the Room Temp probe a bit. I am now getting blower On/ Off but it doesn't ramp. Seems to be either On or Off at the speed I have set.

Any experience with this?

OK. Moved the Room Temp probe a bit. I am now getting blower On/ Off but it doesn't ramp. Seems to be either On or Off at the speed I have set.

I've noticed that on mine the distribution blower will adjust itself from off to full speed. It ramps up/down as needed. It seems to be very smart.

I've questioned that too,but I think maybe if you really pay attention you might see that the flame enlarged slightly. The fan is just purging some heat out of the box maybe is another thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.