How Dumb am I to not seal my stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobforsaken

Oct 2, 2009
Maine
I've seen it mentioned several times.... and I've even been told that I should do it months ago....
But I still haven't sealed my stove pipe. My setup involves Durablack singlewall stove pipe that slips together with the top piece being a slip connector for proper height adjustment. I'm having no issues right now, and I have taken some of the advice and used three screws at the joints... but no sealing cement (furnace cement?)

My stove pipe involves two 45 degree elbows to offset the pipe to the chimney and I currently enjoy being able to clean my chimney monthly by unscrewing the stove pipe from the flue collar and slip the whole pipe assembly off (since the top part is a slip connector it slides up, rotates and slides down to get the pipe out) this leaves me with a straight shot to my chimney from indoors and makes easy work of frequent cleaning with a chimney brush and garbage back to catch the gunk. Because this system has worked so well for me and since there are no problems to speak of (peak carbon monoxide detection of 17ppm according to kidde) I've never been able to bring myself to shut the stove down long enough to seal the joints

I have some furnace cement coming so I can seal it if I must during my next cleaning.... but is it really necessary? My setup is working so well and I don't want to screw it up by taking apart my pipes.... and since its a slip connector and I will frequently be removing the pipe from the stove for cleaning, two of the joints won't be sealed anyway. (top and flue collar) I figure the creosote I'm creating with my marginal wood this first year is doing the sealing for me. :)

Thanks in advance.

I could see sealing at the flue collar or thimble if it's sloppy, but I've never sealed the individual joints with a good quality pipe. Usually they are tight enough not to need sealing.

Mine was installed by professional and the pipes fit together and he did put 3 screws into each pipe connection but NO goop or cement etc, NONE smoke gets drawn up the pipe so it will not leak out unless it is really sloppy was what I was told.

I used cement at one joint, the oval to round adapter from the stove manufacturer was fairly undersized for the Simpson DVL elbow to connect to, and by the time I got it crimped enough to mate up, some of the crimps are pretty large, say 1/8 or so, so I screwed that together then sealed it from the inside with pipe cement.

I don't have any seal on my single wall. The flue creates a negative pressure and draws air into the unsealed joints. There should never be a reversal unless you have a blockage in the flue.

I've never sealed my pipes (single wall).

I wonder about seeing any number other than ZERO on your CO detector. I never have (except when testing it with incense sticks).

I also wonder if you feel you need to clean your chimney every month. That doesn't seem right. I clean mine every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Ok, sorry, I'm gloating. But I do think something is wrong if you get ANY residue to speak of after a month.

RustyShackleford said:

I wonder about seeing any number other than ZERO on your CO detector. I never have (except when testing it with incense sticks).

I also wonder if you feel you need to clean your chimney every month. That doesn't seem right. I clean mine every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Ok, sorry, I'm gloating. But I do think something is wrong if you get ANY residue to speak of after a month.

Why wonder? Quite possibly he is doing what his manual tells him to. Mine says to "check monthly, clean as needed". No manual, manufacturer or even member here I know of would recommend a three year check/clean cycle. Considering this sounds like a new stove install or new operator, very good idea to monitor his/her progress.

Many people, including me, at least check the pipe monthly. If it was just a bit easier to get on my roof, (I can check from the bottom, but not clean) I would take the 5 minutes to run a brush down it monthly. Not because I have massive build up, but just because that's my mindset. Doesn't hurt a thing to check/clean more often. My baby brother runs a Country insert, he hasn't even looked down his chimney in 4 years since the install.

Dakotas Dad said:
Why wonder? Quite possibly he is doing what his manual tells him to. Mine says to "check monthly, clean as needed". No manual, manufacturer or even member here I know of would recommend a three year check/clean cycle. Considering this sounds like a new stove install or new operator, very good idea to monitor his/her progress.
Yeah, you're right. I was kinda under the impression he'd decided he NEEDED to clean every month ... but, if he's monitoring a new installation, at least inspecting monthly makes sense.

My three-year cycle was arrived at by 20 years experience with my Dutchwest installation, and early indications are that my BK will be as clean or cleaner.

Have never sealed mine, on any stove, just short screws holding the joints together.
Its never been an issue, but that is just my experience.

Mcbride said:
I guess that is what I'd say too, but OTOH, when I first joined this site, it was to inquire about a subtle smoky house odor I was getting with my old Dutchwest. (I ended up getting steered to the BK replacement, and am SO glad I did). But I wonder, if possibly, under slow burn conditions when there isn't much draft, if some smoke was seeping out through the stovepipe joints ? It was never enough to register on my CO detector (much less my smoke detectors).

I still think the OP should figure out why he had a 17ppm reading on his CO detector ...

I have always sealed the pipe joints; especially at the stove collar. It takes so little time and then you are sure of no leaks.

As for the folks who say the smoke always goes up the chimney I suggest they read a bunch of posts right here on hearth.com. Many times I read about smoke leakage. I also read about smoke not going up the flue and leaking out into the room. What about back puffing? Smoke can and will leak out through the joints. Back puffing is also the biggest reason for putting the little screws into the pipe.

In short, furnace cement if cheap. It takes very little time to apply and it might stop a little smoke leakage. If one does not wish to protect against this, that is indeed fine. I'll continue to use the cement.

RustyShackleford said:
Mcbride said:
I guess that is what I'd say too, but OTOH, when I first joined this site, it was to inquire about a subtle smoky house odor I was getting with my old Dutchwest. (I ended up getting steered to the BK replacement, and am SO glad I did). But I wonder, if possibly, under slow burn conditions when there isn't much draft, if some smoke was seeping out through the stovepipe joints ? It was never enough to register on my CO detector (much less my smoke detectors).

I still think the OP should figure out why he had a 17ppm reading on his CO detector ...

Well I'd venture to guess that he 17ppm CO reading (a momentary reading, mind you.. its at 0 everytime I've seen it) was due to changing the ash pan or something of the like. The CO monitor is right beside the stove 5 feet from where I rest the ashpan on the hearth as I prepare to take the ashes outside.

RustyShackleford said:

First year burner with marginal wood and an old Cat that doesn't always light off when I think it would. I've pumped a lot of smoke through in low burn situations. Cleaning it makes me feel safer.

RustyShackleford said:

Dale... I mean Rusty (lol) I would be in the category of 1 month cleanings as well. The smoke dragon can lay down lots of creosote, especially when trying to get those overnight or while I'm at work long burns.

Actually I am going to tie this into the sealing as well, since I wonder if I need to seal my single wall...

I had a minor chimney fire a few days ago after only about a month of burning... I dont know if you still call it a 'chimney' fire but it was in the 8" singlewall horizontal run before the thimble. I was starting up the stove and had the door cracked like usual. The stove was taking longer to get going than normal, I dont know how long it was, maybe 20 minutes or so. I smelt that new stove paint smell - and came into the room to see smoke rolling off the singlewall. In the seam I could see orange light comming from within. The IR gun was saying about 600* while the stove wasnt even to 300 if I remember. I shut the door and closed the damper and it droped pretty quick, but left that whitish haze on the pipe instead of the rich black (it was new pipe - a month old).

I have wondered if this might also be in part due to not sealing the singlewall. Not about smoke leaking out like you all have mentioned, but cold air getting sucked in. I have a pretty hard time sustaining chimney temp of over 300... and by the elbow its usually 50* less and the horizontal run isnt hardly over 200-225 usually. It seems to cool down awfully quick.

I do have one joint where the crimp is still partially visible (not completely inside the uncrimped end of the next piece), so maybe I'll use cement on THAT one. It's not one I have to take apart to do a cleaning.

What is the best way to assemble a pipe joint with cement, IOW where and when do you apply the cement ?

Bobforsaken said:
RustyShackleford said:

First year burner with marginal wood and an old Cat that doesn't always light off when I think it would. I've pumped a lot of smoke through in low burn situations. Cleaning it makes me feel safer.

My own feeling . . . an ounce of prevention. . . .

For the record, I checked and cleaned my chimney once a month in my first year of burning . . . and since it is a very easy chore to do (bottom up for me on an outside chimney) I continue to do so every month . . . over-kill to be sure . . . but if I'm going to check it regularly it only takes another 5-10 minutes to do the cleaning on top of the check.

Not sure if it makes a difference or is even relevant to the OP . . . but on my double wall pipe I didn't bother cementing them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.