How good/reliable is the Napoleon Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
new local dealer asking $2k for the new stove, says this stove runs for around $2,900, the model is the NPS45.

just curiosity............

They are a decent stove. We've sold a few. It's not an upper tier stove, but the fact that your buying it from a local dealer who "should" be able to service it for you goes a long way. The stove does retail for about $2900, so your dealer is being straight with you on pricing.

I have not sold one but have looked into them. Suggested is $2,507.00. and you need to add a door, black $369.00 and gold $469.

I do know the first ones out had some different problems but the brand new insert I looked at the other day seemed to be a good unit and the problems of the past were addressed.

Eric

clean it well, clean it often, and it will treat you okay... Burn good pellets as well (cubex and okies you have will do fine in it). Guy must be needing to clear out some overstock to deal at almost 1000 under retail. We have one of those units (used about 1 season old, guy traded it in for a harman after the pellet stove run of '08) at our shop with a $1000 price tag on it, been sitting there for almost a year now. I doubt anyone will ever buy it, unless oil prices do what they did in '08 again, and pellet stoves get scarce.

I do not know if I can add anything much here. I do not work on many. That could be a good sign, but I just do not think that many people own them. Seems like anyone can become a dealer for them. With them being omnipresent and no calls for service....I have to deduct that they just are not popular purchases, for whatever reason.

They seem like simple stoves. Door handles are a bit cheap as I remember.

jtakeman said:
2k sounds like a decent price. Are you thinking about replacing the Englander?

jay, just looking around, you know, not much cash handy but thinking ahead of the game if I want to deal with the englander another season.....personally I don't want to.

My wish would be to have a stove for my 1st floor, to replace the englander, that I can count on to run over 24 hours without cleaning (3 or 4 days??) and that can turn on/off by itself with a t-stat.
I even thought about moving my Santa Fe from the basement upstairs, but don't want to, stove throws a lot of heat but don't know if good enough to heat 1st and 2nd floor, maybe it will, maybe I don't even want to move it from the basement.

Mac mentioned his same englander stove is on sale on ebay, refurb units.

geek said:
jtakeman said:
2k sounds like a decent price. Are you thinking about replacing the Englander?

jay, just looking around, you know, not much cash handy but thinking ahead of the game if I want to deal with the englander another season.....personally I don't want to.

My wish would be to have a stove for my 1st floor, to replace the englander, that I can count on to run over 24 hours without cleaning (3 or 4 days??) and that can turn on/off by itself with a t-stat.
I even thought about moving my Santa Fe from the basement upstairs, but don't want to, stove throws a lot of heat but don't know if good enough to heat 1st and 2nd floor, maybe it will, maybe I don't even want to move it from the basement.

Mac mentioned his same englander stove is on sale on ebay, refurb units.

There are tons of used stoves out there.

geek said:
......Mac mentioned his same englander stove is on sale on ebay, refurb units.

This is my stove:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-49-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d0a2de4#ht_4800wt_958

This is the Evolution Pellet stove, and it's the same guy I bought mine from. Good guy to work with, plus free shipping to local trucking dock, or add about $50 and it gets delivered to your door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-pel...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a5cde03b7#ht_2185wt_913

EDIT: and don't forget the govt. 30% refund on your taxes if you haven't used it yet. These stoves have been refurbished by Mike H and his crew at Englander, and come with the factory 1 yr warranty.

Being that the original use of these stoves started with another taxpayer, would the tax credit really apply? According to the IRS directly, a used stove, refurbished or not, sold by the original purchaser or via a dealer does NOT qualify for the tax credit. Now, if these were used as displays or demos and never entered into use by a homeowner in a home, then the same stove would qualify.

Franks said:
Being that the original use of these stoves started with another taxpayer, would the tax credit really apply? According to the IRS directly, a used stove, refurbished or not, sold by the original purchaser or via a dealer does NOT qualify for the tax credit. Now, if these were used as displays or demos and never entered into use by a homeowner in a home, then the same stove would qualify.
= 1 rebate per stove & not per owner?

1 rebate per stove, and $5000 of purchases per homeowner. So a homeowner can buy 5 stoves at $1000 each and get $1500 back on the 5K worth of purchases. The feds would be quite stupid if they let 5 different people claim the same stove just by passing it to the left hand side like a dutchie

imacman said:
geek said:
......Mac mentioned his same englander stove is on sale on ebay, refurb units.

This is my stove:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-49-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d0a2de4#ht_4800wt_958

This is the Evolution Pellet stove, and it's the same guy I bought mine from. Good guy to work with, plus free shipping to local trucking dock, or add about $50 and it gets delivered to your door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-pel...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a5cde03b7#ht_2185wt_913

EDIT: and don't forget the govt. 30% refund on your taxes if you haven't used it yet. These stoves have been refurbished by Mike H and his crew at Englander, and come with the factory 1 yr warranty.

Is this your stove Pete?
http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf1360da

The multifuel feature is a big plus in my book. Hard to bypass this feature(self cleaning burnpot),

Franks said:
1 rebate per stove.....

Point me to the exact wording in the IRS info that states that.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-53.pdf

If it doesn't specifically state that, then the IRS's reg's are open to interpretation by the taxpayer. Also, I bought a refurb from Englander, and they included with the stove the certification needed to claim the credit.....if it wasn't allowed, why did they included it???

I included the credit on my 2009 taxes, and the IRS had NO problem with it.

mac, is that a removable ash pan at the bottom?

imacman said:
Franks said:
1 rebate per stove.....

Point me to the exact wording in the IRS info that states that.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-53.pdf

If it doesn't specifically state that, then the IRS's reg's are open to interpretation by the taxpayer. Also, I bought a refurb from Englander, and they included with the stove the certification needed to claim the credit.....if it wasn't allowed, why did they included it???

I included the credit on my 2009 taxes, and the IRS had NO problem with it.

The wording says the initial use of the stove must commence with the taxpayer. This was covered many times. Folks looking for loopholes ask "well, what taxpayer are they talking about, teehee" Because the verbage even though very clear in intent left a little wiggle room for interpetation, I called the IRS twice, asked them in plain engrish if a stove used by a previous tax payer was purchased used/refurbished by a new taxpayer, either directly or thru a dealer, does it qualify. Both times I was told no. I put the information down in the previous post along with the name of the agent and their ID # AND phone number. This way, folks who dont want to give advice or make their own financial decisions based on guesses or rumors can hear it straight from the source like I did.

In regards to the stove you got from Englander, there are 4 options:
1. The stove was never sold, but used inter-company at Englander
2. Englanders sales department never bothered (like a lot of retailers and some manufacturers) to dig into the law to make sure they are abiding by it
3. The people at the IRS lied to me or were misinformed
4. The IRS, the place designed to suck us dry are moronic enough to let a tax credit be claimed multiple times on the same item while in some cases not generating new tax revenue.

I once put on my tax return that I donated $3000 to a public school. What really happened was I gave a computer to a girlfriend who was going to college. (Many years ago prior to taking an oath to uphold the laws of the land) The IRS had no problem either.

So, if you dont get caught, then it was a good idea?

I once put on my tax return that I donated $3000 to a public school. What really happened was I gave a computer to a girlfriend who was going to college. (Many years ago prior to taking an oath to uphold the laws of the land) The IRS had no problem either.

So, if you dont get caught, then it was a good idea?

I remember a saying...

Never write when you can speak, never speak when you can nod, never nod when you can wink...you've let the cat out of the bag now franks, IRS has already copied this page in their big brother data base. You'll be dragged in ans questioned about that computer for sure...

"We want names! Who did you give this computer to?"

I'm not trying to endorse the notion of tax fraud, but how are they really to know? All that is required is a sales reciept, and the tax credit certificate stating that the appliance in question meets the minimum 75% efficiency guideline. The reciept must simply say what kind of stove it is, not discern whether it is used or new, and the certificates are downloadable online.

They may never know, Summit. It is an individual decision, I suppose. I am just very clear when explaining it to my clients or when trying to advise someone who may be misled as to what the rules are. I try to not advise on the risk of being caught breaking them, which in this case seems very low.

Franks,

Re: "In regards to the stove you got from Englander, there are 4 options:
1. The stove was never sold, but used inter-company at Englander
2. Englanders sales department never bothered (like a lot of retailers and some manufacturers) to dig into the law to make sure they are abiding by it
3. The people at the IRS lied to me or were misinformed
4. The IRS, the place designed to suck us dry are moronic . . ."

I would suggest there is a 5th. option: When you stated " . . . I called the IRS twice, asked them in plain engrish . . . " Perhaps the IRS agent did not understand you. Next time you may wish to use plain English with the IRS agent.

Ranger

P.S. Just kidding around. I like ironic typos . Also, I find your posts very informative. Keep em coming!

I wouldn't worry so much about the tax rebate with a stove that requires less cleaning and can burn just about any pellet with ease.

If you paid yourself an equal wage of your day job, And the stove saved you 2 hours(Disclaimer: just a number and may not be actual time saved!) a week. The less cleaning rebate will be pretty shinny in no time! Don't tell the spouse though, With more time on your hands the honey due list should be getting done much sooner! Or coarse this doesn't include the savings on not having to buy only the best pricey pellets(sorry BTU). :cheese:

Have I said I hate them picky stoves lately????

jtakeman said:
I wouldn't worry so much about the tax rebate with a stove that requires less cleaning and can burn just about any pellet with ease.

If you paid yourself an equal wage of your day job, And the stove saved you 2 hours(Disclaimer: just a number and may not be actual time saved!) a week. The less cleaning rebate will be pretty shinny in no time! Don't tell the spouse though, With more time on your hands the honey due list should be getting done much sooner! Or coarse this doesn't include the savings on not having to buy only the best pricey pellets(sorry BTU). :cheese:

Have I said I hate them picky stoves lately????

agreed... I think you'll find the napoleon is gonna require a similar maint schedule to the Englander he already has. To truly cut down on the cleanings, check out a Harman, or a multifuel enviro like jake has.

Status
Not open for further replies.