1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How high (temperature) can you crank your pellet stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Just doing some testing on the P61-2 with the heat gun approx 1 foot away and the Feed Rate on 2 and the room fan on low.

I got 516.2 Deg F ! ! ! Got 477.3 Deg F on the sides!

What do you get?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I wont measure with a Infrared gun do to all stoves being made different.

What really matters is the actual air temps. A T/C placed 1" away from the end of a heat exchange tube still isnt equal playing griunds, but its much closer than the box temps with a IR Gun.

IMO... Use a k-Type t/c 1" and we can compare. Some stives have better shielding and wont post high steel temo. Air temp is what heats the room (convection).
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I got 399 air temps from my p61 with type k....thing gets crankin
  4. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Infared guns are very subjective. You need to take averages.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

399 Deg F is getting up there! What brand thermometer did you use Scott?

Here is the Cole Palmer with the high temp probe 1" away - 521 Deg F ! ! !
    I cranked the stove higher this time! ! !

This would be a good shed heater? LOL

Click pic to Enlarge:

Attached Files:

6. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Loc:
    Tijeras, NM
    Not familiar with that term. What is a k-type T/C?
  7. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

K type thermal coupler can be a simple wire that just clips into a thermometer. It measures the heat using the resistance of the wire at the end.
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

you know what I'd be curious about...how about exhaust temps? Which stoves emit the highest amounts of heat in the exhaust? As we all know, this is lost heat....
  9. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

In one of my conversations with Mike Holton he stated on the Englander stoves, the exhaust can get as high as 550 Degrees depending upon all the settings so vacuum hose for the air switch must be rated at 600 Degrees which is what I use.
  10. SmokeEater

SmokeEater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern NY
    If we remember our physical science, temperature and heart are two different things. Related, but not the same. Temperature is the measurement of the average speed of the particles being measured while heat is the energy of the sum of the speed and mass of the particles. In other words the amount of heat produced in a chemical reaction is not really related directly to the amount of heat produced. A pail of cold water has more heat energy in it that a red hot iron poker. (just a silly example, but true)
  11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

youch, man! I can barely get my shoes on the right foot each morning.........anyhow, I digress.....regardless of terminology, simple logic would dictate that the more heat/temperature/whatever which leaves the exhaust of the stove is lost to the atmosphere, and thereby, its lost heat, pure and simple......Smokeater must be some kinda politician or something....;)
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Maybe we need a Magic Heat for Pellet Stoves?
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331508_200331508?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters, Stoves + Fireplaces-_-Heater, Stove + Fireplace Accessories-_-17278&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17278&gclid=CL7z9NXDnbgCFcSf4AodLWMAEA

Scroll down to see the pics of a guy who installed one on his boiler to heat his basement! ! !
  13. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

cant imagine the exhaust issues, let alone trying to get folks the clean the thing!
  14. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Many Pros and Cons about this unit over the years but they still make them and sell them! LOL
  15. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

we've sold em too....I recall a conversation on the heat gained versus the electricity to run the thing...yea, verdict is out there, but given a positive pressure exhausting appliance, the restriction to flow might cause issues....then, maybe not......
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
  17. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

I like new gadgets but only if they are proven to work well!
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Very much so :)
  19. daffonce

daffonce New Member

Temp is only one part of heat loss up the stack or out of the convection vent. Heat out is mass flow rate multiplied by temperature multiplied by time. Or you do mass flow rate multiplied by temperature to get heat per time. Low flow high temp can be less heat output than high flow and low temp.
  20. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    When I worked for a manufacture of pellet stoves we cranked one stove up with pinnacle pellets and the heat exchangers glowed red at 6 pounds per hour. These were 7 gauge 301 stainless heat exchangers. We could never find another pellet that would make the heat exchangers red. It was well over 550 at the exchanger.
  21. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Wow, that must have been cool!

How about Hamer Hot ones? Did you try those?
  22. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Probably not. Politicians aren't that knowledgeable. At first I was going to say not that intelligent, but seeing the cushy jobs they have, they must have some kind of intelligence.
    Lousyweather likes this.
  23. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    Yep we did burn a few tons of those and they were hot but not as hot as the pinnacle ones.