How high up from the base should I install a cleanout door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newcenturystove

Nov 30, 2018
kentucky
Going to cut and install a clean out door for this masonry chimney. How high off the ground should I cut it in?

Attachments

• chimney1.jpg
    chimney1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 116
Going to cut and install a clean out door for this masonry chimney. How high off the ground should I cut it in?
I like to be at least 3 feet off the ground so you canclean from the bottom easily. Or 18 to 24 down from the crock.

Make sure the door seals airtight. Leakage can spoil draft and increase creosote accumulation by cooling the flue gases. You can make a gasket for the door by applying a thick bead of silicone and closing the cleanout door on it.

Last edited:
Make sure the door seals airtight. Leakage here can spoil draft and increase creosote accumulation by cooling the flue gases. You can make a gasket for the door by applying a thick bead of silicone and closing the cleanout door on it.

I was going to "gasket" it with some refractory cement and seal the outside with high heat silicone

I was going to "gasket" it with some refractory cement and seal the outside with high heat silicone
A good quality regular silicone is fine. It will not get hot there.

I don't have a very high roof, so cleaning from the top is easy easy. should I still go that high?i was thinking like 8 inchs or so
I'd go at least 18" to be above splashing and most snow. 24" would center it on the 3d block.

Make sure the door seals airtight. Leakage can spoil draft and increase creosote accumulation by cooling the flue gases. You can make a gasket for the door by applying a thick bead of silicone and closing the cleanout door on it.
Is this something you would do every time you open it? I've only used the stove silicone once, but that was for rope gasket. My door has a "gravity ramp" type latch, like an antique wood stove. Would I be able to gasket this door in the manner you have described? My clean out is inside if that makes a difference.

My door has a "gravity ramp" type latch, like an antique wood stove. Would I be able to gasket this door in the manner you have described?
Is there a stainless liner in the chimney or clay tile? If clay tile then yes, make a simple gasket for the door using silicone unless the door is already gasketed.

Reactions: SpaceBus
shouldn't I be closer, so when I clean from the top I can just vacuum out from the bottom?
You clean it out through the cleanout. Why else would you be putting one in?

Is this something you would do every time you open it? I've only used the stove silicone once, but that was for rope gasket. My door has a "gravity ramp" type latch, like an antique wood stove. Would I be able to gasket this door in the manner you have described? My clean out is inside if that makes a difference.
Do it once then cut the silicone with a knife. It acts as a gasket. You will have to do it every few years but its no big deal

Reactions: SpaceBus
Welp, busted the hole out for the clean out. Doesn't look like the liner goes down that far :(

Guess my only option now is stainless steel liner?

Attachments

• creotebuildup.jpg
    creotebuildup.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 125
Welp, busted the hole out for the clean out. Doesn't look like the liner goes down that far :(

Guess my only option now is stainless steel liner?
You really need a new liner.

Why would they only put liner in from the crock up? and 5 feet short of the top at that. lol
Looks like to metal bars going through the chimney holding the bottom piece where the crock goes in
Because they had no clue what they were doing or didn't care.