How large for an enclosed porch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ksracer

Nov 25, 2019
Wichita KS
It's been a long time since I've lit a fire in any type of stove, but after some research, it looks like the Englander nc-13 and 30 are decent stoves at a good price, plus they are USA made, so that is a bonus also.
I'm looking for one for my 18'x20'outdoor porch that I'm building. 3 of the walls only have lap type Cedar siding on the exterior, just studs on the inside. It's built against the house for the 4th wall. There are twelve 3'x4' screened windows that will have plexiglass put in them during the colder months in Kansas. In other words, it's very, very drafty with no insulation. I don't plan on being out there if the temp drops much below 25deg F. I'm not looking to heat it to living temps, just take the chill off in the evening after work and during the day on weekends.
Will the 13 be too small? I typically tend to overdo things, but I don't want to sweat if I get the 30 and start a fire on a sunny 50deg day either.
On a side note, are the newer EPA stoves easy to operate and get going if the GF wants to use it, or if I just want to light it and go inside while it warms up for an hour?
Thanks for any and all opinions.

I would think the 13 would be ok for what you want but you are going to need a decent height chimney for either to work.

I would think the 13 would be ok for what you want but you are going to need a decent height chimney for either to work.
The roof of the porch is pretty much flat, and about 12' tall where the chimney will come through. If I go 6' higher, that should get it an easy 10' radius away from the roof of the main building, and nearly as high as the peak which will be 16' away. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but I was thinking 6' of single wall inside and then 10' of insulated above that. All one straight shot. Does that sound acceptable?

The roof of the porch is pretty much flat, and about 12' tall where the chimney will come through. If I go 6' higher, that should get it an easy 10' radius away from the roof of the main building, and nearly as high as the peak which will be 16' away. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but I was thinking 6' of single wall inside and then 10' of insulated above that. All one straight shot. Does that sound acceptable?
Yeah that is plenty of chimney.

As a basic chill-chaser, the Englander 17VL will also work. It has easier installation requirements for clearances and the hearth.

You'll want to check your HEARTH to see if it can safely support either of those stoves. ( I mean as far as R-value underneath)

The 30 has a lot of mass and take a bit longer to throw heat. And you cannot just light it (or any stove) and walk away for an hour, as you stated.

It's been a long time since I've lit a fire in any type of stove, but after some research, it looks like the Englander nc-13 and 30 are decent stoves at a good price, plus they are USA made, ...
Also check out >> Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01 Smartstove.

It has less stringent hearth requirements and has an "automatic air set back" that may help your GF.

Also check out >> Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01 Smartstove.

It has less stringent hearth requirements and has an "automatic air set back" that may help your GF.
Thanks, those are in stock at Lowe's as opposed to the Englander models. It will be nice to check one out in person rather than order something I've never seen.
As far as the hearth, I hadn't considered it, YET. The floor is 5" concrete and the walls in the corner where I'm going to set it are actually a brick and concrete retaining wall. They standbabout 5-6' tall and then have wooden framework on top of them.

Last edited:
I'm gonna chime in from a female point of view...Don't be surprised if the lovely flickering flames call to you and more time is spent on the porch than was first anticipated! LOL Mine is also on my porch and I ended up making window quilts so we could enjoy the fire even in '0' temps. (but we also have insulation...so not exactly the same setup)...

Reactions: Ksracer
I'm gonna chime in from a female point of view...Don't be surprised if the lovely flickering flames call to you and more time is spent on the porch than was first anticipated! LOL Mine is also on my porch and I ended up making window quilts so we could enjoy the fire even in '0' temps. (but we also have insulation...so not exactly the same setup)...
We also have the stove in an area that was originally designated as a "sun porch". It has numerous windows, is insulated, only half the size though, but the above is a good point. A whole lot of time can be spent in front of the stove. The radiant heat can be a real draw for everyone, resident creatures included. It can be mesmerizing when it's snowing heavy out - we call it our snow globe, with us in it.

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
Thanks, those are in stock at Lowe's as opposed to the Englander models. It will be nice to check one out in person rather than order something I've never seen.
As far as the hearth, I hadn't considered it, YET. The floor is 5" concrete and the walls in the corner where I'm going to set it are actually a brick and concrete retaining wall. They standbabout 5-6' tall and then have wooden framework on top of them.
Summer's Heat is a big box name for Englander line, so is Timber Ridge. That stove should work fine and you will have no issues with the hearth on concrete. Just make sure you feed if fully seasoned wood and have a flue system on it that is at least 15ft tall.

First fire!
Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_173052.jpg
    IMG_20191201_173052.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 95