How long do you leave your stove for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rdust said:
I think a CAT stove is in my near future!(BK Princess)

If I didn't have such clearance issues I would consider as well. I still enjoy my Lopi immensely over the smoke dragon it replaced. Still not keen of BK look but utility aspect of stove always gets my attention.

Treacherous said:
If I didn't have such clearance issues I would consider as well. I still enjoy my Lopi immensely over the smoke dragon it replaced. Still not keen of BK look but utility aspect of stove always gets my attention.

The Endeavor is a great heater with some of the nicest looks around for a steel stove. I would consider a Liberty if it had a square firebox like the Endeavor.

Rear clearance on the BK won't be an issue since it will be in front of a solid masonry wall, with the side shields added the side clearance isn't bad. The big problem in front of me is selling the wife on the awful looks. :lol: I don't plan to make any moves(if any) before next year anyway so we'll see what this new woodstock stove looks like and go from there.

I really like my Endeavor. I plan for it to be a 20-30 year stove at my cabin. Next spring my dad and I are going to split up about 10 cords of wood. I have about 3-4 cords now. This should keep me ahead of the game since I am not at the cabin full time.

rdust said:
Treacherous said:

The Endeavor is a great heater with some of the nicest looks around for a steel stove. I would consider a Liberty if it had a square firebox like the Endeavor.

Rear clearance on the BK won't be an issue since it will be in front of a solid masonry wall, with the side shields added the side clearance isn't bad. The big problem in front of me is selling the wife on the awful looks. :lol: I don't plan to make any moves(if any) before next year anyway so we'll see what this new woodstock stove looks like and go from there.

branchburner said:
First thing is see what size and shape the flue is in - if it is going to be lined, will it fit an 8", or only a 6" liner? If only 6", that will eliminate a few of the bigger cat stoves. Even if you don't get a cat stove, if your firebox is well over 3 cu ft any good EPA stove should leave you some coals after 10 hours. If you can, though, get the big cat and don't look back. One more to consider: Country Flame BBF. http://www.americanenergysystems.com/model-bbf.cfm

I thought that i read in the BK brochere, you could reduce from the 8" down one to six inch. I could be mistaken. Just wondering cause i was looking at getting one for next year and i am not going to install a new 8" pipe all the way up. My brother has an old earth stove that i think looks similar to the BK and he necks down and that one works fine. Thought the same would be true for the BK especially after readng the literature.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
I thought that i read in the BK brochere, you could reduce from the 8" down one to six inch.

Don't know about the brochure, but I recall threads talking about it. I'm sure it can be done, but would be worth getting input as to how well it works, from those who have already done it.

Creekyphil said:
I was under the impression that the two stoves would be coming with the house, so I could use them while I sorted out what I wanted to do, but it turns out that the stoves are gone.....

You have had plenty of answers to your direct question but I would like to point out your statement that the stoves are now gone. Having had many, many years of experience in the real estate field those stoves MAY have been removed because their install is or was not up to code. i.e. The seller (estate) is probably protecting their butt by removing the stoves instead of updating their install. So........... before you install a new stove, check out the chimney's, etc. for compliance to current code.

Have fun in your new home! :)

Creekyphil said:
Hi Everybody,

I've been lurking on this site doing research for weeks, but I've only posted a couple of times. This forum is an amazing resource, and I wanted to thank everybody that contributes.

Thank you and welcome to the forum.

The barn stove was a barrel stove. Its a 6 car garage and workshop on the first floor, with a large pool room/ bar area above it.

Check the local codes. It might not meet code to have a wood stove in the garage.

I was under the impression that the two stoves would be coming with the house, so I could use them while I sorted out what I wanted to do, but it turns out that the stoves are gone, so I have to figure out a plan sooner than I thought. I'll be using the gas until I can get some new stoves in there. When he passed, the previous owner did leave around 12 cords of good local hardwood c/s/s in the yard. His son said that he thinks that its three years worth, which seems reasonable to me for burning in the house 24/7 and the workshop during the day.

I'm actually excited that the stoves are gone, instead of the wood, which would have been much more of a hassle.

Why would you be excited? You apparently thought the stoves came with the property. I'd be asking some questions and with the stoves being removed, I'd demand a reduction in the price to cover the cost of new stoves. On the other hand, having that extra wood is great! But do not just sit on that wood, replace it as it is being used so that you stay 3 years ahead on wood. This will save you many heartaches because most problems with wood heating come right back to the fuel folks are burning.

I would like to use wood heat as much as possible, but I'm not sure about the practicality of a wood stove in the house. I am out of the house for at least 10 hours a day for work, sometimes as much as 16 hours. There will be other people coming and going (girlfriend, roommate, etc.), but I do not want to have to rely on them to be able to effectively heat the place.

If I were to get a large stove in the house, I'm not sure that I'm comfortable leaving it for the day unattended.

I do not see a problem with being away from the house. And why not teach others how to use the stove. It does not take extreme intelligence to operate a wood stove. Also, why be afraid of leaving the house with the wood stove going? After all, being asleep in the house is not a whole lot different from being away. Just use good sense in how you are operating the stove and sleep well.

A cat stove might be able to get me the kind of burn times that I need, but if I'm not around to bypass the cat or reload, I'm going to ruin it.

What? You have been mislead somewhere about how a cat operates. You simply leave the cat on until you reload. At the end of the burn, even though the stove temperature decreases, there is no more smoke for the cat to burn so it is a non-issue. Simply forget that part.

I don't expect to be able to burn long enough with a non-cat stove.

You can get long burn times out of either type of stove as long as you have good wood. You just have to have a stove with a large enough firebox to hold enough wood. A cat stove will do better with lower burn rates so generally you can get longer burns but there are many non-cats on the market that would suit your needs.

I have access to unlimited free firewood (I own some other land that I can cut), and 3 years of wood already seasoning. I will be able to burn it off eventually in the barn, but I think its going to take me ages.

So what if it takes a long time to burn that wood? All you have to do is keep the top of the stacks covered and hopefully it is already stacked up off the ground. If it is touching the ground then the bottom layer will probably be junk but the rest will be good. Even if it takes you 10 years to use the wood, it will burn fine.

Just wanted to see what all the wise folks here had to say about the situation, and what they would recommend. Am I right in thinking that those kind of burn times are impossible?

No, you are mistaken. Those long burn times are very possible. Hey, what about us folks who heat 100% with wood? What do you suppose we do? I can assure you there is not always someone in the house stocking the stove. Relax.

Do people here even leave their stoves unattended? I know that the owners manual will say not to leave it unattended, but I'm just curious if that is what happens in practice.

As stated, yes, we leave our stoves unattended a lot of the time. You might even think back 50-75 years ago. Then most homes were heated with wood or coal. Because most folks lived on farms, that meant a lot of manual labor. So, if they had to work so much, how were they able to leave their stoves and houses? Simple. They put lots of wood in the stoves and made sure the drafts were turned down so the fire did not run away. It is all in learning how to operate the stove properly.

Thanks.

Good luck.

home owners insurance = no worries about leaving the stove. keep all your valuables in a fire safe, everything else can be replaced if someting unexpected did happen.

-PB- said:
home owners insurance = no worries about leaving the stove. keep all your valuables in a fire safe, everything else can be replaced if someting unexpected did happen.

I'd prefer not to try and replace a wife and pets, but that might just be me. :-S

Proper installation, hearth requirements, clearances, and correct operation of the stove = no worries about leaving the stove.

I'm sure some would like to replace the wife, pets are a different story... good point.

For fifteen years we left this house every day after I loaded the stove before s/s/s and leveled it out before we left. In fact in really cold weather it was woe to anybody that got between us and the door at our respective jobs at quitting time because it was thirty five miles home and we wanted to get there before the house got cold.

Creekyphil said:
I was considering a BKK cat, but was afraid that the cat would get ruined if the stove temps drop too low at the end of the burn. I know that there isn't much gas left at that point, but there is still some, right? Wouldn't this contribute to premature clogging of the cat?

This is a non-issue. We reload every 24 hours unless it is cold out. Then, we go to 12-16 depending on our work schedules. It is a flexible heater and the thermostat does a nice job tending fire when you are away or home for that matter.

I reaload every 12 to 14 hours when its cold. and when its warmer i i reload only once a day every second day. so every 20 hours or more. depends on the wood im using.

I have a soapstone stove, leave at 7-ish, home at 6-ish, and usually come home to find the stone kicking out warmth even if there aren't any coals left (depends upon what I'm burning). I enjoy the woodstove, don't care for the mechanical rattle of the pellets, and like the measure of independence that the wood gives me--I'm not counting on pellets being manufactured and shipped. No saying that the price on that can't go up just the way oil has. Plus you've got the firewood there already. Once you insulate, everything will change, too, in terms of how long that wood can last.

Take it a step at a time--congrats on the purchase of your new home, and wishing you a smooth settling-in.

As much as I love my secondary burner I would think for the times you are looking at that a cat stove would be a good fit for you . . . don't worry about destroying the cat . . . as long as you read up on these forums and listen to the cat owner's -- especially the part about using good wood -- you will do fine.

As for leaving the stove unattended . . . the newbie is almost always paranoid the first time they decide to let the stove go the night or they leave for the day . . . however a little paranoia is good to help you develop good burning habits . . . in short order you will discover that as long as you're burning properly with good wood, have the stove installed correctly, maintaining the stove and disposing of the ashes correctly it can be as safe as most other heating appliances . . . the folks I worry about quite honestly are not the folks who worry about leaving their stove unattended -- it's the folks who install a stove without reading about clearances and hearth requirements, use an under-sized stove that they crank wide open all the time, burn green wood and never clean out their chimneys, put their ash in plastic pails and leave them on the front porch, etc.

Oh yeah, forgot to answer the question . . .

I am pretty lucky since my wife only works two days a week and works the overnight so we are able to keep the stove going 24/7 and feed it on a regular basis . . . however, on overnights or overdays when we are both away we typically go 5-7 hours at the longest before we need to reload . . . if we're awake or at home we may load every 4-6 hours to keep the heat up.

ecocavalier02 said:
when its warmer i i reload only once a day every second day. so every 20 hours or more. depends on the wood im using.

I had no idea Connecticut had less than 20 hours in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.