How long should a pellet stove last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
What's a reasonable guess for how long a new stove should last?

I'm assuming regular cleaning, average or above average quality pellets, surge protectors, replacement gaskets and general good maintenance. But unlike an old wood stove I used to have, this Harman XXV has a motor, moving parts, and electronics. How many years have people been getting from their stove?

I service a lot of Whitfield Advantages that are 20 years old. How ever there are a slew of stoves and manufactures that never saw their fifth birthday. Robin @pelletstoveguys.com

The Pellet Stove Guys said:
I service a lot of Whitfield Advantages that are 20 years old. How ever there are a slew of stoves and manufactures that never saw their fifth birthday. Robin @pelletstoveguys.com

Which ones?

For the initial start up cost, $2300. I sure hope it lasts for 20 years !!! seriously....The stove has electrical parts,motor parts and is prone to rust. If you do the proper maintenance on these things they should last for many years !!!

My Whitfield Advantage is 15 years old. This stove runs like new. I just keep it maintained. I've worked on alot of Whitfield's I think the Advantage is the best pellet stove ever made.

A lot has to do with how the stove is maintained.
Because of the ups and downs of fuel prices, a lot of folks tend to either use their stoves a lot....or else ignore them. I mean REALLY ignore them....like leaving the pellets and ash/soot in them over the summer, only cleaning when the stove stops working, etc.

And, it does depend on which stove also.......

Properly maintained, I would expect 15-20 years....for the real DIY and careful person....maybe longer. But most people are not that way (able to do most themselves) and that is where the 5-10 years come in. We had a discussion about this a long time ago here, and some very experienced folks (dealers, etc.) suggested that folks use 10 years for any calculations....meaning if you bought a $2500 stove, that is $250 a year (without interest, of course, etc.).....also, you do have to figure on parts and service in years 2-10 (depending on the warranty), which can run from 5-10% of the original stove price yearly. Example - $100 a year in a good year for cleaning only and basic service....$200 or more in a bad year, when you have to replace a blower or motor, etc.

Webmaster said:
A lot has to do with how the stove is maintained.
Because of the ups and downs of fuel prices, a lot of folks tend to either use their stoves a lot....or else ignore them. I mean REALLY ignore them....like leaving the pellets and ash/soot in them over the summer, only cleaning when the stove stops working, etc.

And, it does depend on which stove also.......

Properly maintained, I would expect 15-20 years....for the real DIY and careful person....maybe longer. But most people are not that way (able to do most themselves) and that is where the 5-10 years come in. We had a discussion about this a long time ago here, and some very experienced folks (dealers, etc.) suggested that folks use 10 years for any calculations....meaning if you bought a $2500 stove, that is $250 a year (without interest, of course, etc.).....also, you do have to figure on parts and service in years 2-10 (depending on the warranty), which can run from 5-10% of the original stove price yearly. Example - $100 a year in a good year for cleaning only and basic service....$200 or more in a bad year, when you have to replace a blower or motor, etc.

Thanks. Your numbers match my back of the envelope calculations. 10 years is my goal and I plan to maintain the stove carefully. Anything over 10 will be gravy. All the comments on this board about pellet types and prices are useful but my big investment was in the hardware. That's what I need to protect and get maximum use from. And I'm going to pay attention to maintenance for those times when the stove is used less.

I am still using my 1993 Whitfield Quest. Used it lightly about 1 ton/yr up untill 3 yrs ago ..now I burn 3 tons /yr. I will probally just keep replacing the parts before I buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.