How long should an ss liner last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

polaris

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2008
KY.
I think this has been discussed before but a search didn't turn up much. How long do you think an ss liner, behind a modern epa stove, burning 24/7 in the heating months, should last? Has anybody ever had to replace one that they were the only users of (I.E. you installed it and you wore it out)?
Joe

I wondered that myself and I talked to a member who has been installing and cleaning them for 12 years and they are all still going strong.

I've seen some 14+ years old, still lookin stainless and flexible. I think that most 304 SS materials will have the longevity of heirloom type items, just hand it down from generation to generation.

So do you think there is any difference in longevity between flex and rigid?
Joe

They well last for ever if the stove burns wood. BUT, If you add coal to your stove the stainless liner can rot out in as little as five years. The coal smoke turns the sulphur in the coal into a mild form of sulphuric acid. The liner just doesn't fall apart but it well have small pin holes in it. That's why stainless chimney's are not recommended for coal stoves, only masonry chimney's. David

Since my regular stove pipe lasted 30 years and still looks good on my old Nashua I would think the SS liner should last at least that long if burnt correctly.

When I bought and installed my ss liner last year I asked the stove salesman (and professional chimney sweep) how long the liner would last. His reply was, "Longer than you'll be around!"

Oldspark has 30 years. Can anybody top that? If I get thirty then it will be somebody else's issue.
Joe

Uper said:
When I bought and installed my ss liner last year I asked the stove salesman (and professional chimney sweep) how long the liner would last. His reply was, "Longer than you'll be around!"
For some of us that might not be very long at all. :lol:

Captain Hornet said:
They well last for ever if the stove burns wood. BUT, If you add coal to your stove the stainless liner can rot out in as little as five years. The coal smoke turns the sulphur in the coal into a mild form of sulphuric acid. The liner just doesn't fall apart but it well have small pin holes in it. That's why stainless chimney's are not recommended for coal stoves, only masonry chimney's. David

If you run a coal stove you must have a liner that is 316l or better but preferabbly 316ti the warranty offered by the manufacture will cover it- I've seen 25+ year liners pulled and be in excellent shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.