How many cords will you burn this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and what wood you have access to, pine/aspen in my case.

Normal consumption here seems to be 4 or 5 cords for a small older property.

We're figurin' about 3, evenly split between the Fireview in the house and the Classic in the studio.

Wade said:
Usually a semi load (21 cords) and whatever is around the farm. Thats why i trashed the OWB and trying gasification this year. Hope it makes a difference!

Wow, those things can eat some wood. Good luck with the gasser.

In the VC last year from Dec-end of season (4/12 was last fire after tapering off) I burned 4 cords total including some biobricks etc (adjusted 1ton=1cord as that seemed to be the heat output for me). I was able to keep a fire going perhaps 16 hrs/day average at best. It was a slightly colder than 'normal' winter based on degree days.

This year with new stove and burning 24/7 as needed when we are in town I have budgeted 4 1/2 cords. I may be optimistic, a fool, or both that the combination of better wood, new stove and what I have learned is going to allow me to get by with this. I'll certainly know come April/May timeframe!

I have some backup reserves pine and poplar that was cut early summer that I could get into if it dries out enough by spring or I'll have to switch to oil if I run out. I don't really want to eat into those both because it will mean I need more wood each winter and because it means I need to find more for next winter to replace whatever I use... each stick I burn will mean two I have to find for winter 10/11 that is seasoned and ready to go... eek!

Heating over 2000 sqft, trying to keep core/average temp above 65 during the day. Right now my challenge is trying to resist the urge to keep it much warmer so that we get used to cooler temperatures as it is rather easy to jump up to 70+. Guess the fun of putting a few more pieces in the stove is part of first year with a new stove that costs a lot of wood for everyone.

Burnt 6 to 7 last year in the old furnace. Upgraded to a EPA furnace and hoping to shave a couple cords off the usage this year. Time will tell.

Someone dug deep to restart this thread!

We've had our Fireview 2 full winters. Both times we burned 3 cord. I'm guessing we'll burn somewhere around 3 cord this winter. (I had to do a lot of figuring to come up with that estimate.)

1700 Sq Ft 2 story circa 1922 house, new windows and attic blanket, nothing in the walls. With my QF 5100i and a wife that would love the house to be 75 degrees, haha. I am looking at 10 face cord (16"logs) aka 3 1/3 full cord, and suplement the less than ideal seasoned firewood this year with a pallet of Envi blocks. So roughly 4 1/3 cord I am looking at.

Hoping for 3 1/2 with my new Fireview. That will be down from 4 1/4 from last year with the Homestead.

I usualy burn 3 cord of oak, but this year might be more, since I will also be heating my hot water with a super stor.

we usually do between 4-5 each year since starting this lifestyle. I have about 5.5 ready for this year near the front door. Out of that, 1 face is pine, 1-2 face is maple, and the rest is oak.
Have another 5 ready for next year in the back field, and am working on the wood for 2011-12 season.
My brother is old school, and I had to push him to get his split this July-Aug., for this winter. He has nothing setup for next season. I guess he would rather fight starting the fire all winter than get off his butt and actually be PREpared.
Oh well!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.