How many different trailers do you use for wood processing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I use three different ones. 6x10 on road and off, 5x7 off road and a craftsman dump cart.
I still find myself looking at trailers on craigslist. How many do I need?

Most times I use my little poly dump cart but sometimes I borrow my neighbor's ATV cart.

100_0171.jpg

100_0181.jpg

I keep coming back to the 5x8 dump. It can handle a little more than a cord which is usually about all I want to deal with at one time anyway. If I was hauling further I might use a bigger trailer.

Mornin',
I use an 8X8 tilting snowmobile trailer with wood sides to pick up scavenged wood and a 3X5 garden trailer to bring the split wood to the wood rack. The former is useful for everything--quads, snowmobiles, dump-runs with leaves, etc.--the latter is super handy for everyday yard work. Both can be found fairly cheap on Craigslist, etc.

S

I use just one. Bought if from Harbor Freight several years ago for around $100. It hauls 1/2 face cord or 1/6 full cord when it's loaded normally, not like this. In this picture it has pretty close to a face cord on it. It was the last load of the day and I wanted to finish hauling all the splits from that tree:
IMG_4432.jpg

I use a pickup bed trailer to get the wood out of the woods and a yellow garden cart for bringing the wood into the house.
So I guess I use 1 trailer and 1 wagon.

Three. A 6.5X16:

poplar003.jpg

stovewood007.gif

A 5X8:

tobaccoplants010.jpg

And a converted boat trailer behind the 4 wheeler:

PlowSplitter011.jpg

I like a 7x12' 12000lb dump trailer I can haul 3 cord of wood and 11/2 in the truck .
I have a 6x10 dump for small loads .
I like a 20' flat bed for hauling log lengths .

Does this count as a trailer?
0409091911.jpg

If it's not in that, it's on the old flatbed. I wanted a trailer, but I bought the old truck instead. The truck was actually less money that the trailer I wanted.

I am very fortunate in that I dont really need a trailer. I live about a half mile from my dad. We cut all our firewood on a couple hundred acres of hardwoods at the foot of the appalachians located between his place and mine. Just fell the trees cut em into 10-12 Ft logs then we use a 65 Hp New Holland tractor with front end loader and forks to haul out the logs and we split and stack em' either at his shed or mine.

I use two. First is an old hay wagon about 18' X 7'. I pull it with either my PU or an old Ford 8N. It never leaves the property because it is a birch to move around. On the front I have a retired toolbox that keeps all of my gear in. It is just a little bit too tall for loading. But it hauls tons.

dogs008.gif

Then I have a really old John Deere 10cu' yard wagon that I move wood from the shop area down to the house. I pull it with a ZTR mower. Well that is until there is a 1/4" of snow on the ground. It's worthless then. If I haven't moved enough by then I have to use a wheelbarrow.
On a sidenote to the JD trailer, the tires are shot and the wheels are just about rusted through. So yesterday I drilled holes holes around the outside of the tires and filled them with Great Stuff expanding foam. I hope this will get me through the season. More White trash tech.
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.